View job on Handshake

Employer: Human Connections

Expires: 08/15/2020

Intern abroad from home. Through structured projects and virtual engagement with community members, interns will support our team in executing our COVID-19 Initiatives. These collaborations will bolster the resilience and ingenuity of our partners as they navigate a new global reality.One of our core values is reciprocity. To that end, we know that the learning you take away from your internship is just as important as the contributions you make.  Time focused on projects will account for about 70% of your program; the remaining 30% will be invested in professional development and educational activities. Our interns engage in readings, virtual visits, and discussions focused around a specific social sector topic, such as sustainable development, responsible tourism, and indigeneity. Interns will also hone business skills through workshops hosted by HC’s advisors. A virtual homestay experience offers deeper connection and insight into local culture. Most of all, joining our team – including our staff, partners, and alumni – means interns step into a multicultural family, contributing their unique skill set toward lasting social impact while developing intercultural fluency that will serve them professionally for years to come.  WHAT’S INCLUDEDWork on impact-focused projects, collaborating virtually with Mexican microentrepreneurs, staff, and HC’s network of professional consultants to tackle new initiatives in the face of COVID-19Workshops and discussions focused on professional communication in Mexico, responsible tourism, sustainable development, and indigeneity and social justiceUpon successful completion of capstone project, receive a certificate in Social Entrepreneurship or Intercultural CommunicationCareer development, including access to alumni groups, resume review and professional networking Virtual homestay experience, which allows you to connect with a local family for cultural exchange and Spanish language practice (optional)Be a part of an international, multicultural team, gaining skills in remote project management and intercultural fluencySupport pursuing university credit, when applicableBest practices in ethics and sustainability, including fair payments to local collaboratorsReceive a $150 USD discount on future HC programs PROGRAM STRUCTURE Each week, interns will engage in approximately 3 hours of pre-scheduled professional development activities. The specific timing of these activities will be adapted to meet interns’ availability and time zones. Outside of this, interns should expect up to 10 hours per week of independently scheduled work on projects, which will involve collaborating with other interns, staff, and local partners. In total, this program requires a time investment of 10-15 hours per week over 10 weeks. COST $750 USD per session Price Breakdown (Approximate):53%: Educational content, including guest speakers, resources, and curriculum development 13%: Virtual homestay experience26%: Project budgets and local impact payments to our partners8%: Technological and financial expenses  Our remote internships are open to students and professionals from diverse disciplines. This best enables intern teams to support our partners, as well as to learn positively from one another.APPLICATION DEADLINEAugust 14th, 2020 MORE INFO AND APPLY ON OUR WEBSITE: