HUMAN was founded in 2012 in a Brooklyn sci-fi bookstore by Tamer Hassan, Michael Tiffany, Dan Kaminsky, and Ash Kalb. Today we verify the humanity of more than 15 trillion interactions per week for some of the largest companies and internet platforms across the internet. Many of which you may use on a daily basis!
The HUMAN R&D team is pivotal to our mission to protect the heart of the internet by disrupting the economics of cybercrime. Join us for a unique 10-12 week paid internship program that will give you insight into one of the HUMAN team’s critical front lines and experience what it is like to work in a fast-paced cybersecurity company alongside industry leaders. Our teams are dedicated to your growth and development and will coach you through a project that will help us protect companies (and in turn, their customers) from both revenue and reputation risk caused by malicious bots.
We have several internship opportunities across R&D in our Software Engineering and Detection teams, so there are many areas you could grow your skills and make a lasting impact on our mission to protect the internet. We will match qualified interns with projects and teams based on interests and skillsets and fully embed interns within those teams for the summer.
Whether you are interested in understanding an agile development cycle at a scaling cybersecurity company, or how to deploy advanced statistical and machine learning models to help put an end to cybercrime, we have an internship for you to enhance your skills and explore your interests!
Software Engineering Interns will work with a team of uniquely talented engineers who love to learn, experiment, and push the limits of modern technology, to develop and debug software features for HUMAN’s platform/products. Under the guidance of their mentor, Detection Interns will research novel data-driven approaches to uncovering fraud schemes, as well as create data-processing automation for powering our defenses using rigorous statistical techniques and modern toolsets.
There are so many different ways you could enhance your career here, learn additional skills, and have fun, all while making a lasting impact on our mission to protect the internet!
All undergraduate Interns will be compensated $25/hour
Masters students will be compensated $35/hour
Ph.D. candidates will be compensated $40/hour
All Interns will not work more than 40 hours per week
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will be given an equitable opportunity for internship consideration.
What you will learn:
- Hands-on development of new product/platform features
- Learning about the HUMAN products and codebases used by their team
- How to develop team documentation and communicate status updates
- Debugging customer/team reported issues
- Contributing to the quality assurance of our products
- How to work on independent technical tasks with the oversight and coaching from a senior team member
- How to collaborate cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment
- Effective time management skills to help you thrive in remote work environments
- Insight into one of the fastest-growing industries in the marketEnhanced professional written and verbal communication skills
Who you are:
- Either currently enrolled as a Junior or Senior undergraduate student studying a STEM-related discipline, or for Data Science Internships, graduate students are preferred (MS/Ph.D. candidates)
- Can demonstrate a fundamental understanding of software development in one of our core languages: Python, Go, C/C++, or Java.
- You’re curious about how things work and eager to learn.
- You look to find new and innovative ways to solve complex problems.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- You have an open attitude and collaborate well across team boundaries.
- Available up to 40 hours/week during the 10-12 week internship
- Able and willing to acclimate to, and operate in, a remote-first environment
- For infrastructure roles, exposure to either cloud computing fundamentals (eg: can walk through how modern distributed services work) or software networking fundamentals (eg: can walk through at a high level what happens when a browser makes a request for a website)
- For Data Science interns, you can demonstrate comfort working with large datasets, extracting robust and meaningful insights from them through rigorous experimentation.
What you’ll get:
- Ability to say you have made an impact on the internet
- Working knowledge in your field of interest
- Exposure to various cross-functional departments
- An introduction to cyber security — an industry that critically needs talent
- A network of colleagues to learn from and share knowledge with
- Access to exceptional mentors from industry-leading companies
- Potential permanent full-time employment opportunities at HUMAN
- A Macbook to use for the duration of the program
Intern Life at HUMAN:
HUMAN is committed to running an inclusive internship program that will provide an equitable opportunity for all qualifying candidates. We firmly believe in putting people first regardless of who you are, where you come from, how you identify, or who your favorite robot is (we have many). We envision a future where the cybersecurity, and wider technology industry, are more representative of the diversity of thought in the communities we serve and are dedicated to developing the next generation of Hackers with people like you, those who break down problems to build up better solutions. Even if you’re not a conventional “hacker,” we can assure you that you are a Hacker in your own right. That’s what makes us Human.
With Humans located in all parts of the world, we’ve fully embraced our diversity of thought and are always looking for innovative ways to connect with one another – even in virtual reality! Although New York City is our HQ, with teams in London, Virginia, and Victoria, you will work alongside industry leaders and interns from around the world. All interns will work 100% remotely, but all local interns are welcome to come to our HQ office upon request. We will encourage our interns to build a supportive community with each other as well as a professional network of their colleagues. If you are an individual with a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us directly.