This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate:
Sandia demonstrates its commitment to public safety in the national interest by requiring that all new hires be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious accommodation before commencing employment. The requirement also applies to those who are telecommuting and working virtually.
Any concerns about the ability to meet this requirement should be directed to HR Solutions at (505) 284-4700.
$86,300 – $166,800
*Salary range is estimated, and actual salary will be determined after consideration of the selected candidate’s experience and qualifications, and application of any approved geographic salary differential.
What Your Job Will Be Like:
We are seeking a dedicated R&D Electrical Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary team. The successful applicants will have experience in many different areas of engineering to address system level challenges throughout the life cycle of a project; design, research, testing, development, and implementation. Join us to develop creative solutions to unique national security challenges!
During the design process the selected applicants will handle customer requirements and deriving them into functional and operational requirements. We are also responsible for selecting commercial products for procurement or developing solutions that meet specifications and customer requirements.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Build system or sub system test plans that are traced to requirements for system testing
- Perform power calculations for system load, and hardware compatibility
- Research/develop/analyze/test advanced and innovative sensor technologies, power electronics, embedded systems, and hardware and software for communications
- Implement the requirements through design definition activities, such as design reports, engineering drawings, calculation, and specifications
- Implement test plans either in laboratory, test field, or implementation site
- Complete activities related to system level design, engineering, and testing
- Design, conduct and document tests, experiments, and results to evaluate sensor technologies/system performance
- Apply systematic scientific methods to evaluate commercial technologies to determine their ability to meet sponsor performance requirements
- Present at technical design reviews, conferences, or workshops
- Interact regularly with internal and external partners from a variety of technical and professional areas.
- Represent Sandia on multi-organizational project teams
This position requires occasional travel (up to 25% of the year). Due to the nature of the work, the selected applicant must be able to work onsite.
Qualifications We Require:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or relevant STEM field
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance
Qualifications We Desire:
- Experience in physical security system Design, Testing, and Engineering
- Ability to analyze and breakdown systems into manageable and discrete parts for better understanding and troubleshooting, keeping with design basis, and overall system performance requirements
- Experience in security analysis or technologies (interior/exterior sensors, video, networks, data fusion, etc.) and / or experience with NNSA or DoD applications of physical experience
- Experience deriving system requirements into sub-system and component development and requirements
- Power engineering experience, including research and problem solving of complex power systems
- Experience fielding and collecting data in a dynamic environment
- Experience with CAD modeling, simulation, and other programming languages like MATLAB/Python
- Mature problem-solving skills with the ability to learn new technologies and develop solutions based on project needs
- Experience with project planning and project management
- Ability to work in and lead multi-functional teams to support customers with shifting and evolving requirements and due dates
- Possess a strong dedication to positive teaming dynamic, detail oriented and strong written and verbal skills
- Ability to excel within a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Experience with calibrating test equipment
- Active security clearance; DOE Q or DOD TS
About Our Team:
The Security System Analysis & Engineering Department, (6513) is a component of Sandia’s Weapons & Force Protection Center. We are responsible for the analysis, design, and implementation of complex physical security systems to protect critical DoD and DOE assets and defense capabilities.
We provide project management and domain authorities in the area of risk analysis, intrusion detection, video assessment, communications, entry control and Alarm Communication and Display, and response force planning. These domain authorities are developed internally with extensive hands on training and external educational opportunities. Department employees have the ability to lead and/or participate as a domain authority in vulnerability/risk analysis studies, engineering studies, system design, Sensor and access control component testing, development, and integration of complex physical security systems (PSS) for DoD, DOE and other government agencies. Electrical, Mechanical, Systems, and Civil Engineers primarily fill these roles. This department is currently working with the DOE, US Navy, US Air Force, and US Army to enhance the effectiveness of critical asset protection at CONUS/OCONUS installations through several multi-million dollar initiatives.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.
Job ID: 684405