GDS Associates, Inc. has a challenging full-time opportunity with advancement and growth potential for a Utility Rates Analyst in the Rates and Regulatory Department in Marietta, Georgia. This position is available for a remote arrangement. This position will conduct valuable analysis in a wide range of areas including cost of service, rate development and evaluation, and general financial analysis.
GDS is a nationwide multi-service engineering and consulting firm specializing in the energy utilities industry. The ongoing pace of regulatory uncertainty and economic volatility is unrivaled in the utility industry and requires equally unparalleled flexibility in ratemaking and regulatory strategies. GDS has been at the forefront of industry rate and regulatory policy, offering broad expertise in regulatory ratemaking, accounting, economics, finance, and engineering.
The Rates and Regulatory Department provides clients with expertise primarily in the areas of electric utility cost of service, rate design, cost-benefit analysis to address utility issues as they arise, expert witness litigation support, and other financial matters. These core services of the firm are utilized by clients to ensure that their rates are being properly charged by utilities or development of clients’ rates to ensure compliance with federal or state opinions, orders, and precedent.
- Assisting GDS Project Managers and other consulting staff with analysis and review of components within rate and cost of service models for production and transmission FERC rates. Development of discovery and challenges based on FERC precedent.
- Assisting GDS Project Managers and consulting staff with the development of protests, discovery, and settlement documents for section 205/206 cases at FERC.
- Assist with the development of testimony to be filed at FERC and state commissions.
- Interacting with GDS clients to discuss project issues.
- Performing research on matters such as electric utility rates, FERC orders and opinions and other FERC/state precedent, and results of regulatory proceedings.
- Assisting GDS Project Managers with the review of retail rate filings, as needed.
- Using programs such as Microsoft Excel to perform statistical analysis of data.
- Providing limited supervision to Department Associate Analyst and Cooperative Student positions.
Assist in conducting analyses using spreadsheet models, including:
- Analysis of models and comparing changes in models.
- Data development and entry for cost-of-service models, as needed.
- Review of data and provide an analysis of items to address in discovery.
Assist in preparing material to communicate analysis results to both internal and external stakeholders, including:
- Charts and tables/Presentations
Communication with internal and external team members
Research regulatory issues and proceedings
Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time
Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, economics, or other energy industry-related field
- 2-5 years of relevant experience (strongly preferred in the utility industry).
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Excellent data entry and spreadsheet skills
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines
- Strong, effective verbal and written communication skills
- Travel (less than 10%) to GDS offices, Washington D.C. or other state commissions, as needed.
GDS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GDS does not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S.