View job on Handshake
Position: The Project and Contract Analyst role is responsible for supporting, organizing, and reporting on the financial and contracting aspects of assigned projects. River Partners’ projects are large scale, long-term, and primarily funded through governmental agreements. We are required to provide detailed accountings of funds spent and maintain detailed budgets throughout the life of our projects. This position is a critical member of the proposal and project management teams, interacting regularly with the Development Lead, Scientists, Field Managers, and Accountants. This position supports contract review and preparation for approximately 35% time and supports grant and contract administration 65% time.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Proposal and Budget Development
• Supports Proposal Development Team in scheduling coordination meetings and maintains calendar of critical dates for proposal and bid submittals;
• Is responsible for creation of new project codes in information systems and creates project structures consistent with River Partners practices;
• Gains an understanding of projects being developed by reading and reviewing relevant information including request for proposals, bid solicitations, and project maps;
• Is inquisitive about the ecological and agricultural activities of River Partners’ projects and gains a basic understanding of project flow and operations;
• Participates in the development of the River Partners proposals by making recommendations on pricing and budget structure;
• Evaluates and reviews proposal budgets for accuracy and financial completeness;
• Understands and inquires about the operations of River Partners field activities in order to support and inform the budgeting process;
• Successfully utilizes budget preparation spreadsheets to generate accurate reports in the River Partners budget model.
Financial Project Management and Administration
• Reads and understands funding agreements, noting required financial or other administrative compliance;
• Monitors expenditures and revenues in assigned projects for compliance with River Partners policies and practices; investigates and reports on unusual occurrences;
• Reviews and approves invoices and expenses for assigned projects;
• Acts as financial contact for all subagreements and supports Project Manager in ensuring subcontractors are in compliance with terms of their contracts;
• Hosts regular meetings with Project Manager, Operations Lead, and Science Lead to review project budgets;
• Prepares invoices and provides to Project Manager for submission to funder;
• Develops and maintains relationship with funder to respond to and troubleshoot financial questions that may arise;
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Reads and understands contract and subcontracts;
• Works with Contracting Director and legal counsel as needed to finalize contracts and contract templates;
• Supports Project Managers and Contracting Director in preparation of contracts and requests for proposals or quotes;
• Understands federal and California contract compliance requirements.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Must enjoy working with diverse people and organizations to get things done
• Knowledge of OMB circulars and general understanding of basic generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
• Capable of working independently
• Knowledge of general office procedures
• Knowledge of proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Experience managing budgets and general understanding of contracting
• Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational, and written skills
• Demonstrate judgment in identifying and handling confidential information
• Exhibit cooperative behavior with colleagues, supervisors, and managers at all times
• Ability to apply logical thinking and sound judgment to a wide range of practical problems
• Ability to work under multiple deadlines and flexibility to handle changing priorities
• Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
• Integrity and ethics beyond reproach
• Commitment and enthusiasm to carry out River Partners mission
• B.S. in Accounting or related field and a minimum of 3 years of experience in an accounting position or equivalent.
• Experience with computers, including MS Word and Excel, Access, and Modular Accounting Systems (Enterprise Resource Programs)
• Advanced 10-key and MS Excel abilities required
• Driver’s license with no restrictions.
• Possess the ability to communicate in basic Spanish (preferred, but not required).