Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a Programming Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Compensation: $24-28/ hour, DOE
- Start date: June 1, 2022
- Location: Laramie, WY, Fort Collins, CO, or Remote
- Develop and maintain datasets for computer vision using open source software (CVAT, Voxel51)
- Assist with development and deployment of computer vision models in Python
- Manipulate wildlife and environmental data, assist in developing graphs and tables, and perform simple statistical analyses and analytics. Develop, review, and provide support for data analysis code written in R following standard coding styles
- Manipulate spatial data in common GIS platforms including QGIS and ArcGIS
- Format and conduct QA/QC on data
- Coordinate with appropriate personnel to promote best practices for data standardization and integrity
This is a general description of the functions for this position and this is not all-inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, mathematics, computer science, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology or equivalent degree preferred
- Demonstrated interest in working with wildlife, environmental, renewable energy, statistical or mathematical data and databases
- Experience with image annotation and managing datasets related to computer vision
- Experience with Python machine learning frameworks (Pytorch, TensorFlow, OpenCV)
- Familiarity with convoluted neural network architectures
- Develop and maintain detailed documentation of code
- Highly developed ability to stay focused and pay attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High level of initiative and ability to think critically to solve challenging problems
- Self-starter who can work independently yet thrives in a team environment
- Capable of appearing for work on time following instructions from managers, interacting effectively with coworkers and clients, maintaining a positive attitude, and accepting guidance and constructive criticism
- Preference will be given to those with work or academic experience with wildlife, environmental, biological, statistical or related fields
- Experience with MS Access, MSSQL, MongoDB, PostGreSQL, MySQL, or other database applications, and query language SQL
- Understanding of database design concepts
- Experience with programming, logic, and data modeling principles
- Sitting for long periods of time
WEST is committed to providing a safe and healthy work environment for everyone and highly recommends all prospective hires be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to their start date. While WEST does not currently require vaccinations, please be aware that WEST has a mandatory vaccination policy in place should local, state or federal law require vaccinations. Additionally, WEST has certain clients that require all personnel to be vaccinated prior to working on their projects, so individuals will be required to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination prior to working on those projects. As an exception, employees may also request a Medical or Religious exemption from the vaccine requirement and the request must be supported by a doctor for a medical exemption or by a statement from the employee outlining a sincerely held belief to qualify for a religious exemption. Please contact us if you have any questions.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.