Job Title: Power Systems Data Engineer Intern
Supervisor: Product Manager, ENER-i.AI
Electric Power Engineers, LLC (EPE) partners with power and energy clients across the globe to address complex engineering and grid modeling challenges. We have partnered with power and energy clients across the globe for over 50 years. With locations in Texas and Illinois in the United States, Panama, and Lebanon, we serve clients internationally. Our executive team has more than 160 years of experience in the industry working with hundreds of generating facilities and dozens of energy storage installations.
We serve the needs of key client groups such as investor-owned utilities (IOUs), municipal-owned utilities (MOUs), cooperative utilities, independent system operators (ISOs), project developers, owners, and independent power producers, as well as other grid stakeholders. We provide our clients solutions for generation interconnection, reliability planning, long-term strategy development, economic planning, and load interconnection. Our highly experienced team of detail-oriented consultants are passionate about helping clients.
We entered the renewables industry early and have seen significant growth in power engineering consulting services, establishing a unique and well-respected position in the power industry as a leading expert in power grid and energy integration. Our goal is to continue this growth three-fold over the next five years and enhance the services we currently provide. We are at the forefront of progressing the electric power/energy industry forward by creating a “grid of the future”!
Internships at Electric Power Engineers, Inc. are more than just a job, they’re an experience! Our interns bridge theoretical classroom concepts and hands-on training to overcome real-world challenges. Throughout your internship, you will develop skills to advance professionally and academically.
We are seeking a scholar with a background in power systems and data analytics. The Power Systems Data Engineer will develop Python-based process automation tools around the ESRI Utility Network Model and conduct technical research related to distribution planning data and models. You will work on the ENER-i.AI FME workbench to create an extractor of the utility network model from other formats. You will also work on ETL activities to transform data into repeatable processes. Candidates who are good communicators and self-starts will work well with our 5-person team who is entrepreneurial and dynamic.
Principal Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Support efforts to create an FME or Python data extractors to convert existing (Synergy, CYME) data models into ESRI Utility Network format.
- Work with ESRI product suite to visualize and validate network models.
- Develop ESRI insights visualizations and reports.
- Composes effective and scalable code through testing, debugging, evaluation, and analysis.
- Develops back-end components to improve testing, data collection, and automation.
- Supports the development, testing, and maintenance of internal databases for distribution planning projects.
- Contributes to functionality improvements of existing systems and data libraries.
- Coordinates with distribution planning engineers to understand user requirements and provide technical solutions.
- Documents process workflows for quality assurance, quality control, and repetition.
- Takes responsibility for the timely completion of projects assigned while meeting all project quality objectives.
- Performs individual tasks according to good engineering practices and EPE procedures.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Independent critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Quality of the task completed.
- Efficiency in task completion at or below budget.
- Meeting deadlines.
- Growth of technical capabilities.
Required Education and Experience
- Completion of or current enrollment in a bachelor’s or graduate degree program with a major in electrical engineering, computer science, or geographic information systems (preferably with an emphasis in Power Systems) from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Experience programming and automating using Python.
- Experience using Python tools such as pandas, SciPy, NumPy, xlrd, and xlwt.
- Experience managing databases with SQL.
- Previous experience, education, or exposure to the power industry/renewable energy.
- Completion of or current enrollment in one or more power systems class.
- Experience with power systems simulation tools such as Synergy or CYME.
- Experience with Esri products including ArcGIS and Utility Network.
- Experience with FME/FME Workbench
- Familiarity with distribution power networks.
This position operates in a professional office environment in Austin, Texas or Champaign, Illinois. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, with or without reasonable accommodations. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will communicate with colleagues and clients, move about the office to access files and equipment, operate computers and other office machinery, and remain in a stationary position.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This internship is a full-time position. General hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Must be willing to work extended hours, including evenings and weekends when necessary.