View job on Handshake
GDS Associates, Inc. has an exciting and challenging full-time opportunity with advancement and growth potential for a Power Market Project Consultant to work in our Power Supply Planning group. This person will provide analytical support with an emphasis on power market analytics and modeling.
GDS is a nationwide multi-service engineering and consulting firm specializing in the energy utilities industry. We have a significant and growing practice in the power supply planning area representing electric utility and renewable/battery developer clients in the procurement, planning, and effective management of power supply resources in markets across the U.S.
- Prepare energy, capacity, and REC price forecasts, provide assessments of market fundamentals, analyze changing landscape of market design in power markets, provide insight on changing market rules and impact to client critical planning functions.
- Use common industry models and tools as needed to perform detailed analytics.
- Evaluate complex issues surrounding congestion costs and ARR/FTR positions.
- Contribute to consulting projects by summarizing modeling results and seeking out peer review of material to support delivery of high-quality client-specific projects.
- Continuously develop subject matter expertise in a particular practice or focus area by actively contributing to above listed activities and pursing activities/work in various disciplines and staying abreast of current/hot topics to broaden and build upon subject matter knowledge.
- Communicate with clients and make presentations as part of team effort.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, statistics, economics, or other energy industry-related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-7 years of project experience in one or more structured power markets (e.g., CAISO, ERCOT, MISO, ISO-NE, NYISO, PJM, SPP, etc.). Familiarity with Western EIM preferred. Analytical and modeling project experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with CAISO interconnection process and Distributed Energy Resource (DER) integration at the distribution/transmission level.
- Experience in RTOs developing procurement strategies and analyzing congestion, CRR/FTR/ARRs, resource adequacy requirements, RPS requirements.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office applications required (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint). Familiarity with industry modeling tools and practices, including economic and financial analytical methods. Familiarity with production cost models preferred. (e.g., Aurora, PLEXOS, PROMOD IV, GridView, Market Analytics, MIDAS, Dayzer).
- Experience using statistical computer languages such as R and Python to generate insights is a plus but not required.
- Experience creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics (regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks) is a plus but not required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Solid problem-solving, judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Remote position within the Greater Sacramento, CA region
GDS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. GDS will not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.