Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Learning Systems Group in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division, Computing & Computational Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As a Postdoctoral Researcher, you will help solve some of the most challenging problems this country faces. You will perform ground breaking research on a wide range of significant problems and you will apply your work to exciting research in multi-disciplinary domains with globally recognized experts. You will bring creative thinking, teamwork, and machine learning skills to bear as you develop new methods for processing natural language, collaborate with leaders in your field and across the laboratory, working with the worlds fasted computers, and disseminate innovative results through publications and presentations.
The Learning Systems Group at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory focuses on artificial intelligence and computational research and applies this knowledge to support the nation’s leading initiatives. We hire top researchers who are ready to tackle the hardest problems faced by both the country and the world. These problems include using deep learning to extract structured information from scientific literature, identify missing links in scientific research, discover the characteristics of neutrinos, how to build a self-driving electon microscope, as well as a self-driving car. Exploring the potential of deep learning on high performance, neuromorphic, and quantum computers, and using the Summit, ORNL’s supercomputer, to discover the bounds of artificial intelligence. The group’s researchers are changing the world with their research and we are committed to hiring and retaining highly motivated, energetic, and creative individuals that will help us continue our breakthrough research.
- Research and develop new and novel NLP solutions for toxicology and biomedical text classification, information extraction, and other related tasks
- Build strong collaborations within ORNL and with the global research community
- Publish ground breaking research in top-tier venues
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports and proposals for internal and external release and represent the organization by giving talks at public forums
- Be a part of a collaborative research environment which will provide the opportunity to perform cutting-edge research in deep learning and NLP
- A PhD in Computational Linguistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Demonstrated experience working with text data and and natural language processing techniques
- Demonstrated experience working with deep learning frameworks like PyTorch and Tensorflow
- A broad understanding of the application aspects of natural language processing and data science methodologies and techniques, (e.g. supervised and unsupervised learning, feature selection/engineering, hyperparameter optimization, dimensionality reduction, word embeddings, etc.)
- A strong publication record in natural language processing (either core NLP or application conferences and journals)
- Hands on experience with tasks involving biomedical and scientific domain language (e.g., ontologies, information extraction, classification, relationship mining)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.