Requisition Id 8357
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Cybersecurity Research Group in the Cyber Resilience and Intelligence Division, National Security Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
- Implement, evaluate, and enhance the effectiveness of state of the art reinforcement learning and other machine learning / deep learning algorithms in a testbed environment using python
- Provide guidance to technical staff as they develop realistic environments for an adaptive cyber testbed to help ensure the transferability of developed models
- Publish key results in respected peer-reviewed conferences and journals
- Provide support in other machine learning based efforts to enhance strategic defensive cyber capabilities
- A PhD in computer science, mathematics, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Strong ML background and formal education or exposure to deep reinforcement learning.
- Capable python programmer, especially with deep learning frameworks such as PyTorch, Keras, and TensorFlow, and libraries such as scikit-learn and numpy
- Recent publications at peer-reviewed conferences or journals (in the last 2 years)
- A deep understanding of the application of reinforcement learning to large state spaces and multi-agent scenarios and experience designing reinforcement learning agents for scientific applications
- A track record of publications at peer-reviewed venues in the area of reinforcement learning
- A willingness to learn or knowledge of the cybersecurity domain, especially network intrusion and defense
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.