Requisition Id 7696
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Signals Collections and Analysis Group in the Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND), National Security Sciences Directorate (NSSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The selected candidate will support research efforts in signal processing and analysis, with an emphasis on the development of novel algorithms to interpret results from complex data streams. The successful postdoctoral associate will be a highly motivated and creative problem solver to satisfy signal analysis needs for challenging nonproliferation problems.
- Perform processing and analysis on multimodal, high-speed time-series data streams
- Develop statistically defensible algorithms to identify and characterize complex signals sampled in noisy environments
- Provide feedback on attributes and quality of collected data to support hardware development efforts
- Conceive, write, and submit proposals to develop and expand a research program investigating novel signal analysis methods to satisfy mission objectives
- A PhD computer science, physics, electrical engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Demonstrated expertise with digital signal processing in the time- and frequency-domain
- Experience with scientific analysis and programming software such as C, Python, MATLAB, Igor, or comparable equivalent
- A background in productive and creative research efforts, exemplified by peer-reviewed journal publications
- Experience with RF signals analysis
- Experience with signal processing as applied to communications
- Experience in developing software analysis platforms using the programming languages mentioned above
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an Secret Compartmented Information (SCI) clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. In addition, due the SCI, you may also be subject to random polygraph testing.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.