Requisition Id 7169
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Microstructural Evolution Modeling Group in the Materials Science and Technology Division (MSTD), Physical Science Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) who will develop high-throughput workflows for first-pricniples-based calculations and materials platforms that promote efficient compiling of large-sets of data by using data analytics and machine learning approaches to develop novel materials with improved functional properties.
As part of our research team, you will work closely with experimentalists who synthesize and characterize various functional materials, such as low-dimensional quantum materials and nanoscale carbon materials.
- Develop workflows for high-throughput calculations and materials platform that combine various data analytics to explore material’s properties
- First-principles based theoretical/computational modeling of low-dimensional quantum materials
- Present and report research results at group meetings and international conferences
- Publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD in Materials Science, Computer Science, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in computational code/software development.
- Fluent in computer programming language(s) especially bash and python
- Familiar with linux system, high-performance computing, computer archetictures, code compilation, data visualization, and web programming.
- Experimental research experience is a plus
- Excellent record of productive and creative research as demonstrated by publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to email@example.com with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.