Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Analytics and AI Methods at Scale (AAIMS) group in the National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) in the area of applied AI technologies for large-scale HPC applications. The AAIMS group develops and deploys emerging data science and AI methods for scientific user programs at scale, and enables advanced facility innovation through operational data analytics.
The candidate will contribute to leadership-computing applications and use AI methodologies to accelerate scientific workflows and outcomes. We are a leader in computational and computer science, with signature strengths in high-performance computing and data analytics with applications in a broad range of science domains. NCCS provides state-of-the-art computational and data science infrastructure coupled with dedicated technical and scientific professionals tackling large-scale problems for accelerating scientific discovery and engineering advances. NCCS hosts the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, one of DOE’s National User Facilities, which is home to the Summit supercomputer and the soon-to-appear first exascale machine, Frontier.
We are an inclusive environment that welcomes a diversity of creative scientists and engineers with an eagerness to learn and innovate.
- Collaborate with internal and external researchers on applying large scale data analytics and machine learning techniques to scientific applications and workflows to extract knowledge and accelerate discovery
- Integrate AI/ML workflows and algorithms on high-performance computing systems to address scalability challenges in scientific applications
- Use emerging AI techniques and develop modern approaches to application
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports
- A PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Applied Mathematics or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Development experience within an HPC science application (preferably in a DOE domain of interest)
- Experience with modern machine learning models and workflows running at scale
- Ability to understand and communicate with researchers of various scientific domains
- Research experience in foundational AI methods, and/or state-of-the-art data analytics and machine learning practices
- Experience integrating machine learning models into traditional modeling and simulation applications and workflows at scale
- Experience with optimal experimental design techniques
- Strongly motivated to perform and publish leading edge research
- Flexibility in R&D assignments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.