Requisition Id 8826
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Data Analysis and Machine Learning Group, Mathematics in Computing Section in the Computer Science and Mathematics Division (CSMD), Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate (CCSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The Postdoctoral Research Associate will work within several areas of research, including data analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, optimization, scalable algorithms (including mathematical software), uncertainty quantification, computational statistical physics. Applicants will be expected to support research programs in fundamental on AI and machine learning as well as AI/ML applications on scientific and engineering problems.
The position requires collaboration within a multi-disciplinary research environment consisting of mathematicians, computational and computer scientists, and domain scientists (both theoretical and experimental) conducting basic and applied research in support of the Laboratory’s mission.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Participation in the development and analysis of new computational methodologies for scientific problems, often customized to complex and large-scale scientific applications
- Delivery and support of mathematical technologies for various scientific disciplines and applications
- Dissemination of research through peer-reviewed papers and technical reports, as well as seminar and conference presentations
- Active participation in professional organizations
- A PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer, Computational Sciences, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Expertise in scientific computing and numerical analysis
- Expertise in scientific machine learning and/or artificial intelligence
- Experience in the design and implementation of scalable numerical algorithms on HPC architectures and within a team environment
- Experience working with modern machine learning software tools and frameworks
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
For technical questions, please contact Guannan Zhang (email@example.com). Please reference the position title and number when corresponding about this position.
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.