Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate who will support the Advanced Nuclear Systems Safety and Licensing Group (ANSSL) in the Nuclear Energy and Fuel Cycle Division (NEFCD), Fusion and Fission Energy and Science Directorate (FFES) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
You will contribute to the development of advanced risk and reliability methodologies and application of these methodologies to advanced reactors and fuel cycle systems, electric grid performance, advanced nuclear system instrumentation and control, and other complex systems and critical infrastructures.
The ANSSL Group provides siting, safety, security and systems analysis for advanced reactor systems. ANSSL supports a broad portfolio of research supporting deployment of advanced reactors, microreactors, and space reactor systems as well as reactor expertise for safeguard and security activities.
- Support development, documentation, and implementation of computational risk and reliability efforts
- Perform Event Tree/Fault Tree analysis for conceptual designs
- Develop functional tools to implement the methods to search design and operation vulnerabilities
- Support component reliability database development for molten salt system designs
- Contribute to a diverse technical team supporting exciting multi-disciplinary and multi-institution activities
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements
- Document work performed to meet sponsor and mission needs, including preparation of peer-reviewed papers for publications in journals and conference proceedings
- A PhD in Computer Science, Mechanical, Reliability, Nuclear Engineering, or a related field completed within the last 5 years
- Experience with probabilistic models and reliability engineering
- Demonstrated experience in applying probabilistic risk assessment (PRA) or understanding of advanced PRA methods
- Experience in the following areas of research for nuclear systems:
- Failure modes & effects analysis
- Reliability, availability, maintainability (RAM) analysis
- System safety analysis
- Statistical analysis
- Resilience analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Please submit three letters of reference when applying to this position. You can upload these directly to your application or have them sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title and number referenced in the subject line.
Instructions to upload documents to your candidate profile:
- Login to your account via jobs.ornl.gov
- View Profile
- Under the My Documents section, select Add a Document
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.