The Building & Connected Systems Group is seeking a Post Master’s Research Associate to support its research into buildings decarbonization, energy and water systems performance evaluation, technology testing and demonstration, and systems integration planning for federal and commercial facilities. This candidate will contribute to a variety of tasks including measurement and evaluation of consumer electronics; site/campus assessments of building energy and water systems and associated site infrastructure; use of whole-building modeling and other tools to analyze building performance; and identification of solutions to improve equipment performance. The candidate will also support the development and demonstration of new technologies, tools, and assessment methods that enable more efficient building performance.
The term will be 1 year for position, at which point the candidate will be reviewed for potential conversation to a full-time employee.
Candidates must have received a Master’s degree within the past 24 months or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university. Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 required.
Candidates are encouraged to apply if they meet several of the preferred qualifications below, but do not need to meet all.
- Degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, architectural engineering, civil engineering, building sciences or related field.
- Experience with miscellaneous electric loads and consumer electronics power management, measurement and estimation, and power conversion
- Knowledgeable of building HVAC equipment and systems.
- Practical experience conducting building energy evaluations or audits, and using building energy modeling (e.g. eQUEST, Energy Plus) or other analysis tools.
- Basic programming skills for data analysis (e.g. Python)
- A passion for learning and innovation, and a desire to advance the building sciences domain through improvements in energy and water efficiency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to convey complex technical information effectively to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving and the ability to work well with inter-disciplinary and geographically distributed teams.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from having any affiliation with the foreign government of a country DOE has identified as a “country of risk” without explicit approval by DOE and Battelle. If you are offered a position at PNNL and currently have any affiliation with the government of one of these countries you will be required to disclose this information and recuse yourself of that affiliation or receive approval from DOE and Battelle prior to your first day of employment.
Job ID: 312594
Closing Date: 2021-09-24