View job on Handshake
The Ideal Candidate
We are actively hiring! Apply NOW! Must have already completed four year degree.
You have a passion for government service and public policy and a desire to learn about the City’s structure and functions. You are eager to develop your research, analytical, and writing skills. You have had some experience in qualitative and quantitative analysis, either in an academic or an entry-level professional role. You might not have used data analysis tools (like R) or data visualization tools (like PowerBI), but you have an analytic curiosity and a willingness to learn. You might have some background in one or more policy areas like transportation, public health, human services, homelessness, capital planning and public safety; or if not, you are ready to dive right in and build your expertise. You collaborate well working with others and you are enthusiastic about solving challenging problems facing government in a team environment.
PERFORMANCE ANALYST I
The City Performance team is seeking an entry-level analyst who works both independently and as a member of a team. Under immediate supervision, the Performance Analyst I will get to work on multiple projects, assisting in all aspects of project design and implementation and collaborating with analysts and staff across City departments. Essential activities of this role supporting and participating in project teams may include the following:
Analysis, Data Visualization, and Performance Reporting
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis to support the development of project findings and recommendations in collaboration with project teams.
- Gather, analyze and visualize data, learning to use analytic tools such as Excel, R, PowerBI, and ArcGIS.
- Conduct benchmarking and best practice research.
- Interview department staff and stakeholders to obtain relevant project information.
- Identify and propose performance measures to drive departmental decision-making.
- Analyze City processes and operations and make improvement recommendations using continuous improvement methods.
Project and Program Management
- Support the development of detailed project plans, including scope and objectives, timelines, and budgets.
- Coordinate and maintain communication with project managers and team members to track project progress, identify issues and collaboratively problem-solve throughout each project’s cycle.
Facilitation and Communication
- Facilitate internal and external meetings with a focus on information gathering and collaborative decision making and prepare agendas, meeting materials, and notes for project meetings.
- Support the facilitation of Citywide working groups to promote inter-departmental collaboration and agreement on initiatives, programs, and policies.
- Support the preparation and presentation of project findings through writing and developing content collaboratively with team members.
- Contribute to the development of reports, infographics, dashboards, and presentations to communicate project results to the public and City stakeholders.
- Draft and deliver training material based on project results; In collaboration with team members, coach departmental staff to build skills for data-driven decision making, rapid process improvement, and effective collaboration and communication
- Work collaboratively with all staff, encourage team members to challenge themselves and learn from each other, and actively contribute to team efforts.
- Establish constructive working relationships with city employees, department management, and the general public while maintaining objectivity and credibility throughout the project process.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Performance Analyst II, project managers and/or director, and clients regarding projects.
- Participate in organizational development activities for City Performance.