Internships at Optum. If you want an intern experience that will dramatically shape your career, consider a company that’s dramatically shaping our entire health care system. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, is a leading health services and innovation company dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 94,000 people collaborating worldwide, Optum combines people, technology, data and action to improve the delivery, quality and efficiency of health care. Our internship opportunities provide a view of a rapidly evolving, incredibly challenging marketplace of ideas, products and services. Here, you’ll work with some of the smartest people in the business on assignments that matter. Join us and you may end up staying for a career in which you can do your life’s best work.(sm)
Optum Labs serves as United Health Group’s innovation and advanced product hub. Our team conducts cutting-edge research in the health care space and incubates data-driven digital solutions which aim to improve patients’ health outcomes, clinicians’ experience, and reduce health care costs. Our teams leverage clinical expertise, applied research and advanced data analytics technologies such as AI and Machine Learning to enhance business products and specific services.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- You will have the opportunity to influence and contribute to mission critical projects early in your career
- Contribute to solving some of the most complex technical challenges in the areas of distributed systems, automation, optimization, scalability, and security – just to name a few
- In addition to working on an impactful project, you will have the opportunity to engage with leaders for both personal and professional development, expand your network, and participate in activities with other interns throughout your internship
- Design and build innovative technologies in a largely distributed computing environment, and help lead fundamental changes in the healthcare industry
- Create solutions to run predictions on distributed systems with exposure to innovative technologies at incredible scale and speed
- Build distributed storage, index, and query systems that are scalable, fault-tolerant, low cost, and easy to manage/use
- Ability to design and code the right solutions starting with broadly defined problems
- Work in an agile environment to deliver high-quality software
- Implement statistical and/or machine learning approaches to support research efforts
- Document research findings thoroughly and maintain well organized code on github
- Collaborate within cross-disciplinary research teams including business-facing leaders and expert domain scientists
- Provide recommendations and guidance based on insights gleaned from data
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to a range of audiences
- Leverage analytics and challenge the status quo while maintaining a high attention to detail
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Pursuing a Master or PhD degree in software engineering, data science or related field
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- Experience with at least one modern language such as Java or Python
- Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems
- Hands-on experience in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end software systems and all points in between
- Solid computer science and development fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build process, testing, and operations
- Expected graduation date of 2023 – 2024
- Location in Seattle, WA; Minneapolis, MN; or New York, NY
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary/hourly range for Colorado residents is $33,280 to $35,500. The salary/hourly range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $33,280 to $39,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.