View job on Handshake
Operations Research Internship – Summer 2022
Who We Are | Operations Research
Wayfair is seeking energetic, curious and action-oriented PhD students with an interest in a career in Operations Research for summer internship positions. Our current team members have diverse skill sets across quantitative sciences, analytics, math and engineering with a focus on logistics and supply chain. They are dedicated to solving some of the most analytically challenging problems here at Wayfair.
We are currently accepting internship applications for Summer of 2022 (June 2022 start date; 10-week program).
Operations Research Scientist
Our Operations Research Scientists take on complex optimization projects that have immediate impact on our operations. We seek an individual who can think through creative strategies to develop and execute solutions to keep Wayfair efficient as we scale. The successful candidate will work with our team of operations research scientists and engineers to tackle large-scale and real-time optimization problems in our supply chain and beyond, including network design, transportation & vehicle routing, warehouse & inventory management, global network optimization, and many others.
We are looking for an individual capable of thinking outside of the box about operational challenges, who wants to try new approaches and challenge traditional models – all while focusing on bringing a best-in-class experience to our global customers.
What You’ll Do | Responsibilities
- Develop production software tools
- Work cross-functionally with business stakeholders to determine requirements
- Coordinate with other engineering teams
What You’ll Need | Qualifications
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program with a strong academic track record
- Currently obtaining a degree focused within either Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science or a related field
- Strong knowledge of linear programming and mixed-integer programming
- Experience implementing models with AMPL, R, Matlab, or similar tools
- Experience using Python, C++, Java, or similar languages
- Familiarity with data analysis
Working on the Operations Research team allows you to have the opportunity to play a critical role in a growing company while also operating with a high level of executive visibility. The team is focused on creating strategic solutions that steer customer behavior, influence key decision making and quantify our impact within the e-commerce space. Our diverse and fun employees enjoy an environment of strong ownership and quick feedback from building, experimenting and iterating on high-impact work.