View job on Handshake
This position is located in the Power Student Development (PD) organization within Power Services (P), of the Bonneville Power Administration (BPA). The supervisor will be the lead of the PD program; however, the internship will involve rotations under several supervisors, depending on interest and availability.
The position involves periods of pertinent formal education and periods of employment in the operations research analysis occupational field as a part of a formal student employment program. Typically, periods outside of formal education are 40 hours per week, and periods of formal education are devoted to education.
As a Student Trainee (Operations Research Analyst), you will:
- Perform minor phases of larger assignments.
- Conduct analytical investigations using appropriate scientific methodology and problem solving.
- Perform, interpret, and correlate various calculations, analyses, and computations for unknown factors or relationships that are primarily matters of a factual nature or involve mechanisms that are well understood.
- Learn techniques and gain knowledge through job experience and extended professional training that supplements technical understanding.
- Use computers and information technology and their varied applications to accomplish projects, designs, plans, and reports.
- Prepare required recurring reports, correspondence, and documentation.
This job is open to
- current students enrolled or have been accepted for enrollment in a degree seeking program (diploma, certificate 4 year college or university, graduate, professional school, etc.)
- All U.S. Citizens, Nationals, and Foreign Nationals who meet both Immigration and Annual Appropriations Laws.
- This Pathways Internship will have a tentative start date in February/March of 2022. If you graduate before June 2022 you will not be eligible for this Pathways Internship Program.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by a background investigation.
PATHWAYS PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Must be in good academic standing (GPA of a 2.0 or higher).
- Must be enrolled in at least a half-time course load, as defined by your educational institution.
- Must submit a copy of your current transcripts and/or letter of acceptance as proof of your enrollment. If selected, official transcripts/proof of enrollment must be submitted prior to establishing a start date.
- Your entire time as a Pathways Intern will be considered your probationary/trial period.
- As a Pathways Intern you may have rotational assignments in various organizations.
- As a Pathways Intern you are expected to work during your summer, winter and spring breaks unless otherwise coordinated with your manager.
- A Pathways Internship Participant Agreement is required.
PATHWAYS PROGRAM COMPLETION: BPA has the option to convert an intern to a permanent position upon program completion. This is not automatic nor guaranteed. It is at the discretion of the employing office. Interns may be converted to the General Schedule (GS) level qualified for at the time of conversion. To be eligible for conversion, an intern must:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Complete at least 640 hours of work experience acquired through the internship program before completion of their educational program/degree. Operations Research Series, 1515 (opm.gov).
- Meet the Office of Personnel Management’s qualification standards for the position to which the intern will be converted.
- Meet requirements as specified in the Participant’s Agreement.
- Perform their job successfully and be recommended by the organization to a permanent position.
- Relocation may be authorized with conversion.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: Currently enrolled in an accredited college (including 4-year colleges/universities, community colleges, and junior colleges); professional, technical, vocational, and trade school; advanced degree programs; or other qualifying educational institution pursuing a qualifying degree or certificate.
GS-04: To qualify, you must have completed 2 full academic years of post-high school study OR an associate’s degree. (1 full academic year is equivalent to 30 semester hours or 45 quarter hours.)
GS-05: To qualify, you must have completed 4 academic years of post-high school education leading to a bachelor’s degree OR a bachelor’s degree.
GS-07: To qualify, you must have completed 1 full academic year of graduate level education; or Eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision and completion of a bachelor’s degree.
Your educational goals must include obtaining a professional degree in Operations Research.
You must submit a copy of your current transcripts for proof of education and enrollment. If you are not currently enrolled, but have been accepted for future enrollment you must submit a copy of your acceptance letter with your application.
DO NOT email or mail in any of your application documents. Documents will not be accepted outside of the online application system.
NOTE: This Pathways Internship will has a tentative start date in February/March of 2022. If you graduate before June 2022 you will not be eligible for this Pathways Internship Program.