The position will serve as the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) Operations Division Director. Provides overall agency direction and leadership through participation on the agency’s senior management team, and provides managerial direction and leadership to the Operations Division so that the agency’s administrative, communications, business data, safety, continuous improvement, human resources, and fiscal requirements are met. The Operations Division provides agency-wide business services that align with the MPCA’s mission, vision and values, and supports performance excellence. This division supports the agency’s environmental work through management of fiscal services, internal controls and risk assessment, human resources, communications, organizational improvement, facilities, fleet, safety, data systems and online services, data analysis, document and records management, emergency readiness, continuity planning, and legal services. The division also continues its efforts to be inclusive and diverse in staffing needs, vendor solicitation, and methods to reach the public and to serve customers, partners, and stakeholders.
- Three years of operational or environmental program managerial experience which demonstrates the following qualifications:
- Experience developing and managing annual and/or biennial budgets, and implementing internal controls and fiscal accountability.
- Experience in contract development and management.
- Experience in directing and supporting change efforts for continuous improvement.
- Ability to share a clear vision and to think, plan and lead strategically.
- Ability to resolve controversial, sensitive, complex issues with diverse parties.
- Ability to effectively manage human and fiscal resources.
- Experience with strategic planning including the development of strategic and operational measures.
- Communication skills sufficient to clearly, concisely and effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and groups.
- Support of diversity, equity and inclusion efforts in a workplace setting.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles and practices of environmental protection and the interrelationships of those factors to MPCA’s programs and services.
- Knowledge of State and Federal government budgeting processes.
- Experience with operational functions, to include human resources, fiscal management, information management, facilities management, support services, process management, and performance management.
- Experience with the Incident Command System, emergency readiness, COOP, safety, and security.
- Experience with the state legislative process.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
- A driver’s license is an essential function of this position. This requires possession of an unrestricted Class D Driver’s License. The job offer is contingent on confirmation of a valid driver’s license AND a satisfactory driver’s license record check. Requires a Class D driver’s license: a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight of less than 26,000 pounds. This is a basic driver’s license. Operators may also tow vehicles/trailers as long as the gross combination weight does not exceed 26,000 pounds.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure polluting does not have disproportionate impact on any groups of people. We emphasize work-life balance with flex schedules, compressed schedules, and options to telework for some positions.
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.