Mergers and Acquisitions Analyst
Calder Capital is a Lower Middle Market Mergers and Acquisitions Advisory Firm focused on representing sellers of industrial, manufacturing, distribution, and business services companies with enterprise value from $1MM – $250MM; and strategic/financial buyers seeking platform and bolt-on acquisitions in the same market segments. Our core focus is to bring the market to our clients. For seller clients, this means confidentially and aggressively marketing to attract significant interest from qualified buyers. We are focused on administrative automation and streamlined processes to maximize competitive offers. For buyer clients, we use the same focused, aggressive, and smart automation and outreach to maximize the number of off-market sellers introduced to our clients.
The results are clear; year-over-year growth and record-breaking progress in deals closed and satisfied clients. Calder Capital offers a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment where the learning and growth of our staff and associates are prioritized, and the truth is expected. Learning and growth are not a one-way street; however, you will be expected to critically think, solve problems, and answer questions on your feet. You will be involved in prospect and client discussions that can be emotionally charged. Once you are comfortable with your surroundings and daily work, you will be expected to offer critical feedback to improve our processes and service offering. This position is for someone who feels compelled to make a difference and positively impact prospects, clients, and Calder Capital’s business, even if that means periodic discomfort.
In terms of daily tasks, the Mergers and Acquisitions Analyst will be focused on our sell-side advisory services, aiding in all aspects of our pre-market, marketing, and sale process, including financial modeling and analysis, valuation analyses, buyer/seller/strategic research, CIM (Confidential Information Memorandum) and Teaser creation, and drafting engagement agreements. Over time, Analysts are challenged to interact with prospects, deliver analyses and presentations, and work one-on-one with clients. You will be challenged and pushed and rewarded for giving this position 110%.
The position is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in our downtown office located at 25 Division Ave S, Suite 225 Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Initially, the Mergers and Acquisitions Analyst will work on-site, full-time.
- Develop, learn, and apply the concepts of accounting, corporate finance, and capital markets needed to support transactions
- Perform detailed valuation analyses using various methodologies, including discounted cash flow analysis, transaction comparables, and asset method
- Exhibit high attention to detail and discipline to produce error-free and properly formatted work on a consistent basis
- Assist in the preparation of high-quality presentation materials for use in prospect and client meetings
- Craft marketing material drafts that will aid in marketing clients’ businesses, including the Teaser and Confidential Information Memorandum (CIM)
- Assist in the origination and execution of sell-side advisory transaction deals
- Manage priorities while working on a number of high-priority opportunities simultaneously with oversight from associates
- Speak up and offer positive, critical feedback to improve the operations of Calder Capital, prospects, or clients’ businesses
- Develop good working relationships with peers at Calder Capital
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in Finance or Accounting and 3.80+ GPA preferred
- 1-2 years of solid investment and/or analytical work experience preferred
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, pro-active, self-motivated, and be able to manage multiple projects concurrently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated understanding of or strong desire to further deepen knowledge about mergers and acquisitions, private equity, company valuation techniques, accounting concepts, and basic financial modeling
- Strong Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to critically reflect on conversations, situations, and analyses/reports, and offer positive feedback for change and growth
- Exhibit extremely strong work ethic and passion for improvement and growth