JOB TITLE: Market Intelligence Analyst, Associate or Manager
DEPARTMENT: Market Intelligence Group
LOCATION: Preference for Boston or San Francisco; open to other locations including London and Houston in particular
Are you passionate about energy industry and want to join a team providing cutting edge intelligence to the energy and natural resource markets? Does your perfect day consist of not only analyzing complex information to find useful insights and connections but also helping our clients use it to make better decisions? Can you integrate qualitative and quantitative analysis to “tell a story” to internal and external stakeholders? Do you have a strong desire to learn new tools and techniques to solve business problems? PowerAdvocate is seeking a Market Intelligence member to join our growing company. If you thrive in a dynamic environment where you work with clients to solve critical cost, risk, and carbon problems, we have the job for you.
The Market Intelligence Group (MIG) is a team responsible for managing the market insights delivered through our suite of software-as-a-service products, including price benchmarking, escalation, forecasting, commodity exposure, supplier and other category insights across all goods and services procured globally by the energy and natural resource industry. These insights are most often leveraged to identify opportunities to save money and reduce risks. We are a hybrid group that wears many hats: consultant, economist, market researcher, data analyst and product owner. In our hybrid role, we collaborate closely with all teams in the company, including product development, data science, client services, sales & marketing and customer success, among others.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A candidate could be a generalist across many or all of these or a specialist on select duties and responsibilities.
- Serve as primary point of contact for MIG clients as an expert on PowerAdvocate products and the energy and natural resource industries.
- Support the sales process including development of a compelling value proposition, solution development, proposal development and product demonstrations.
- Work closely with PowerAdvocate’s proprietary platform and with other experts to develop price forecasts and make market analysis recommendations to our clients.
- Work closely with PowerAdvocate’s proprietary data to provide customers with pricing insights, develop risk solutions, and help customers transition to lower carbon footprints.
- Conduct primary research for published analyses using industry sources, including competitive assessment and third-party data analysis.
- Create reports with both conceptual analysis and quantitative findings to show market trends to our clients.
- Assume responsibility for functional area expertise in spend categories that are critical to our clients’ decision making.
- Perform data extraction, manipulation, cleaning, analysis, and audit of large datasets, relying on well-structured procedures and maintaining reproducibility of results.
- Combine existing data in new ways. Cleanse and enrich data to make it more powerful. Pioneer new ways to analyze and visualize data.
- The MIG Analyst contributes as part of an Agile Scrum team, in a fast-paced environment with high visibility to the rest of the company.
- 1 – 10 years’ experience in the energy or natural resource sector
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving, and time management skills with attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt based on the needs of clients and PowerAdvocate
- Enjoys organizing large data sets, identifying discrepancies, and making appropriate adjustments
- Experience with programming, data proofing, mining, and cleaning is a plus.
- Python, R skills a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills with success in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Experience in a client-facing role a plus
- Applicable Bachelor’s degree in Economics or Engineering with a quantitative, statistical, and/or economics focus
There will be minimal travel requirements. Occasional opportunities or requests will arise to visit clients and conferences for a combination of training, sales and business development interests. PowerAdvocate also funds a minimum of two business related trips per year to Boston for company events, and there may be some additional team gatherings that are sponsored. We will comply with federal, local and Verisk travel requirements and guidelines.