Job Posting Title:
Lead Data QA Engineer, Data to Insights Initiative
Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost
Position Open To:
Weekly Scheduled Hours:
Earliest Start Date:
Jul 27, 2022
Expected to Continue Until Dec 31, 2025
UT MAIN CAMPUS
The Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative at UT Austin is an investment to build a trusted, integrated, and scalable information infrastructure that transforms complex UT data into valued insights for data-informed decisions.
As a team member in the Data to Insights (D2I) Initiative, you will work with a cross-campus team using the latest cloud technologies to build a next-generation data ecosystem that will improve decision-making and advance the university’s mission. We believe the best ideas arise from collaborative work among colleagues from varied backgrounds and experiences. We actively seek diversity of viewpoint and perception in our student, faculty, and staff recruiting and retention practices. If you’re the type of person who loves to learn and wants to know your work has meaning, you may find your career home at UT Austin. Please note that this position is currently funded through December 31, 2025.
The University of Texas at Austin provides an outstanding benefits package to staff, including:
- Competitive health benefits (Employee premiums covered at 100%; family premiums at 50%)
- Vision, dental, life, and disability insurance options
- Paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Teachers Retirement System of Texas (a defined benefit retirement plan)
- Additional voluntary retirement programs: tax sheltered annuity 403(b) and a deferred compensation program 457(b)
- Flexible spending account options for medical and childcare expenses
- Training and conference opportunities
- Tuition assistance
- Athletic ticket discounts
- Access to UT Austin’s libraries and museums
- Free rides on all UT Shuttle and Capital Metro buses with staff ID card
This position requires you to maintain internet service and a mobile phone with voice and data plans to be used when required for work. This position provides life/work balance with typically a 40-hour work week and travel generally limited to training (e.g., conferences/courses).
The Lead Data QA Engineer for the UT Data Hub will improve university outcomes and advance the UT mission to transform lives for the benefit of society by increasing the usability and value of institutional data. The Lead Data QA Engineer works closely with other team members to design and help implement manual and automated data quality assurance processes.
- Reviews and analyzes requirements, specifications and technical design documents, and provides timely feedback.
- Develop detailed, comprehensive, automated, and well-structured test plans and test cases.
- Create and execute test plans, including regression testing, while applying a keen eye for detail and a commitment to excellence.
- Identify and reports issues found and verify that issues are resolved.
- Create testing infrastructure and strategy, supporting and controlling all relevant testing procedures.
- Lead the collaborative design, development and support of the testing infrastructure.
- Other duties as assigned.
BS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or equivalent professional experience. Proven experience in data/software quality assurance with hands-on experience with automated testing tools. Proven experience in programming in Python, Java, or other programming languages applicable to this context. Strong knowledge of software QA methodologies, tools, and processes. Strong experience with relational databases such as Postgres, Oracle, SQL Server, etc. Strong aptitude for troubleshooting and problem solving. Team player, comfortable communicating cross-functionally and across management levels. Self-motivated and able to organize work independently in a rapidly changing environment.
Experience in test automation in a CI/CD environment. AWS certification. Knowledge of Agile software development methodologies (Kanban, Scrum). Experience with issue tracking systems (JIRA).
$101,538 + depending on qualifications
- May work around standard office conditions
- Repetitive use of a keyboard at a workstation
- Use of manual dexterity
- Location up to 100% remote at employee discretion with office work environment also an option. Majority of team is located in Austin, TX, and working remotely with infrequent in-office presence.
- 3 work references with their contact information; at least one reference should be from a supervisor
- Letter of interest
Important for applicants who are NOT current university employees or contingent workers: You will be prompted to submit your resume the first time you apply, then you will be provided an option to upload a new Resume for subsequent applications. Any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) will be uploaded in the Application Questions section; you will be able to multi-select additional files. Before submitting your online job application, ensure that ALL Required Materials have been uploaded. Once your job application has been submitted, you cannot make changes.
Important for Current university employees and contingent workers: As a current university employee or contingent worker, you MUST apply within Workday by searching for Find UT Jobs. If you are a current University employee, log-in to Workday, navigate to your Worker Profile, click the Career link in the left hand navigation menu and then update the sections in your Professional Profile before you apply. This information will be pulled in to your application. The application is one page and you will be prompted to upload your resume. In addition, you must respond to the application questions presented to upload any additional Required Materials (letter of interest, references, etc.) that were noted above.
Regular staff who have been employed in their current position for the last six continuous months are eligible for openings being recruited for through University-Wide or Open Recruiting, to include both promotional opportunities and lateral transfers. Staff who are promotion/transfer eligible may apply for positions without supervisor approval.
Retirement Plan Eligibility:
The retirement plan for this position is Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), subject to the position being at least 20 hours per week and at least 135 days in length.
A criminal history background check will be required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of Texas at Austin will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employment Eligibility Verification:
The University of Texas at Austin use E-Verify to check the work authorization of all new hires effective May 2015. The university’s company ID number for purposes of E-Verify is 854197. For more information about E-Verify, please see the following: