Headquartered in San Diego, Mulligan Funding serves as a leading provider of working capital ($5K – $2M) to the small and medium-sized businesses that fuel our country. Since 2008, we have prided ourselves on our collaborative, innovative, and customer-focused approach. Enjoying a period of unprecedented growth, driven by the combination of cutting-edge technology, human touch, and unwavering integrity, we are looking to add to our people-first culture, with highly motivated and results-oriented professionals, to push the limits of what’s possible while creating value for all of our partners.
We are seeking a junior statistician, quantitative modeling specialist, or data scientist to join our data science team’s Risk division. If you have exceptional analytical, quantitative and problem-solving skills, some experience in building models in the financial context, a proven track record of bringing your own insights and ideas to problems, the ability to work independently and collaboratively, and the desire to make a direct impact on the success of the business, this is an opportunity for you.
The ideal candidate has an advanced degree in statistics, economics, mathematics or a related field; 1-2 years experience in data analytics and statistical modeling; strong inner motivation to learn, grow and contribute significantly on the job; intellectual curiosity and honesty; exceptional attention to detail; and excellent interpersonal skills.
This is a hybrid role out of our San Diego, CA office, with the standard working hours of 8 AM to 5 PM.
- Research, implement and test innovative statistical models for underwriting and other areas of the business.
- Work independently, under guidance from and in collaboration with the data science team, particularly the head of Risk Data Science.
- Identify relevant data sources and data sets to deliver insights and analysis for business decision-making.
- Source, cleanse and verify data.
- Work closely with Analytics and Technology teams to deploy models in production.
- Communicate statistical solutions to parties across the business in the form of presentations and other materials.
- Own the accuracy and precision of analysis.
- B.A. or above in statistics, economics, finance, applied mathematics, or related discipline (Master’s preferred)
- 1-2 years experience in model implementation in fintech, banking or related field
- 1-2 years experience in data analysis to support business decisions
- Basic knowledge or strong interest in credit products and risk analysis
- Independence in problem solving, and ability to own a problem from start to finish
- Fluency with statistical modeling and familiarity with machine learning methods
- Fluency with SQL and Python
- Proficiency with descriptive data analysis and presentation
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively
- Intellectual curiosity and creativity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Great Medical, Vision and Dental Benefits.
- Health Savings Account.
- Flexible Spending Accounts.
- Life and disability insurance.
- Fantastic 401K with matching contribution.
- Sick, Vacation, and Holidays.
- Gym membership contribution.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – mental health support.
- Online commuter benefits.
- Internal Referral Program.
- Fun team and company events.
- Start-up culture, within an established business with 13 years of experience.
- Great central location in San Diego – easy access from highway.
Mulligan Funding is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and takes great pride in building a diverse work environment. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.