Database Administrators are responsible for the definition, creation and maintenance of enterprise databases. Database Administrators analyze, test and implement physical database designs supporting various business applications (including structure, documentation, long-range requirements, operational guidelines); and ensure data recovery, maintenance, data integrity and space requirement needs are assessed and met.
- Resolve problems and answer questions related to the database and platform environment (e.g. Windows, UNIX, LINUX).
- Closely monitor performance; identify problems and implement solutions; ensure database is running at optimum speed and efficiency.
- Respond quickly to refresh data; verify implementation of correct backup strategy; develop recovery procedures; support recovery from loss of data caused by user or system error.
- Keep product at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide current stable production and development environments.
- Use tools to reorganize or de-fragment database table spaces, tables and indexes; provide efficient database environment to maximize productivity and improve performance.
- Refresh data from one environment to another at the request of the application development staff; execute necessary tasks to accomplish this, including export, drop, create and import.
- Research and recommend optimal design criteria; publish standards and work with development staff; standardize environment and improve efficiency.
- Monitor file system space, database allocation, etc.; verify efficient use of disk storage; reclaim dead space; optimize space allocation and avoid out of space conditions.
Technical Knowledge/Skills: Applies extensive technical expertise and has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Expert in relevant database products (e.g. MS SQL, Oracle) and associated products.
Problem Solving: Expert knowledge in working on unusually complex technical problems in a consulting role. Provides solutions which are highly innovative and ingenious. Assignments are often self-initiated
Project Management: Mastery knowledge and expertise of General Project Management. (Refer to the Evaluation Guide for General Project Management for further details).
Database Product: Expert in relevant database products (MS SQL, Oracle)
Database Performance and Tuning: Expert in database performance and tuning.
Operating System: Mastery knowledge of relevant operating system.
Utility Tools: Expert in relevant utility tools.
Associated Products: Expert in associated products.
Environment: Database support in real time mission critical systems environment involving applications applications such as Energy Management Systems (EMS), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA Systems), Distribution Management Systems (DMS).
Education: Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent
Experience: Minimum of 10 years of related experience
Licenses & Certifications: None
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment.
- Must be available to work emergency restoration assignment as required.
- Must be available to travel between CT/MA/NH as necessary.