Safe communities for Washington State.
Promote public safety and trust through fair administration, education and enforcement of liquor, tobacco, cannabis and vapor laws.
This recruitment is open until filled. First review of applications will be August 25, 2022. The hiring authority reserves the right and may exercise the option to make a hiring decision at any time. We encourage all to apply as early as possible.
This position is currently eligible to telework. This position is currently not expected to work in the office. This may change as per business needs.
**Please Note: This non-permanent position is expected to last through July 1, 2023**
Who we are
We want to create a culture that fosters excellence in customer service, open and honest communication, transparency and accountability, data driven decisions, and business initiated process improvement.
Your opportunity at a glance
WSLCB applications and information systems support all Washington alcohol, cannabis and tobacco licensees as well as the licensing, enforcement, excise tax collection and audit staff regulating the industry. Data collected by WSLCB is shared with law enforcement and tax collection agencies across the state. This position ensures that new technical solutions are available and have reliable systems functionality in support of WSLCB’s mission.
If you have an interest in a journey-level solutions analyst role in which you will be collaborating with cross-agency, cross-divisional, and cross-disciplinary teams to design or modify agency applications and information systems based on working knowledge of technical architecture, data management architecture, cyber security, systems business requirements and technical design specifications, we encourage you to apply to be a part of the WSLCB team!
WSLCB provides a modern work environment and excellent benefits including:
- Training and career development programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Flexible work schedules
- Telecommuting opportunities
- Generous wellness program
- Onsite exercise facility
- Active and engaging diversity program
- Infant at Work program
- Organization’s commitment to your personal health and well-being.
- Work/life balance
- Free parking
- A comprehensive benefits package
Some of the duties you will perform are:
- Using defined Systems Analysis standards and best practices, develop and document policies, processes and procedures that govern how work will be performed in areas including, but not limited to:
- Workload management;
- Resource management;
- Requirements elicitation;
- Requirements elaboration;
- Requirements management;
- Stakeholder engagement and communication;
- Change management; and
- Issue, task, and risk management.
- Utilize subject matter expertise and advanced research and analytical skills to conduct technical impact analyses for assigned operational IT projects/efforts that speak to cost, risk/benefit, and compliance with agency, state and federal rules and policies.
- Serve as a consultant to technical service owners, product owners, business subject matter experts and other internal/external operational IT project/effort stakeholders to identify business-rule compliance gaps within supportive technologies.
- Participate in production implementation, verification and validation of overall system quality.
- Leverage advanced knowledge of a wide range of business and systems analysis principles to elicit requirements related to: Software, Hardware, Network/Infrastructure, Database; and Cyber Security.
- Independently analyze and determine technical feasibility of highly complex business processes and define system scope and objectives based on business needs. Propose options for new product features and/or process improvements using advanced knowledge of system functionality and testing outcomes.
- Elicit and elaborate functional, non-functional, business and technical requirements from product owners(s), key operational IT project/effort stakeholders, subject matter experts (business and technical) using BABOK techniques, e.g. interviews, document analysis, requirements meetings, prototypes, business process analysis, use cases and/or user stories, scenarios, tasks, workflow analysis and other techniques as needed using an incremental and iterative approach to system design.
- Ensure that requirement statements are complete, consistent, concise, comprehensive, traceable, feasible, unambiguous, verifiable, and that they conform to standards.
- Translate functional, non-functional, business and technical requirements into use cases and/or user stories and define acceptance criteria in accordance with published Requirements Management Standards, using Microsoft’s Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Azure DevOps.
- Translate functional, non-functional and business requirements into technical specifications.
- Independently convert requirements into various types of models and/or diagrams using BABOK techniques, e.g. process mapping, decision tables, value streams, data flows, etc. using Microsoft Visio to describe aspects of the requirements and requirement relationships.
- Ensure that WSLCB system interfaces/integrations are in alignment with any/all newly introduced requirements. Troubleshoot any/all interface/integration issues to identify and document requirements gaps and communicate findings to all relevant state agencies, application product owners and technical service owners in a way that ensures common understanding.
- Define and document data fields for system reference, i.e. data dictionaries. Perform analysis supporting complex data conversion and migration activities. Utilize advanced SQL skills to define the data requirements and data map the tables to ensure the data can be properly extracted, transformed and loaded.
- Determine and document the requirements domain architecture including the: Complexity of the domains; Number of views of requirements that will be produced; Storage and access; Version control; Requirements attributes necessary for successful requirements management, e.g. unique identifiers, author, complexity, ownership, priority, risk, source, stability (maturity of the requirement), status, urgency, etc.
- Develop root cause analysis processes and procedures, which includes defining the problem, gathering the data and documenting the evidence so that root cause analysis is performed systematically with given conclusions. Identify the system interoperability associated with the problem. Identify the root causes that, if changes are made, will prevent reoccurrence. Trace issues through multiple complex systems and provide solutions. Determine which causes can be solved within available resources and do not cause other problems. Monitor the solutions usability and performance to ensure effectiveness and conformance with system requirements.
- Create a Product Backlog to include the full set of user stories and use cases that define the operational IT project/effort scope.
A combination of following technical experience:
- Working level knowledge of solutions analysis standards and progressive experience independently developing and managing solutions and business analysis standards at the journeyman level.
- Advanced knowledge of requirement elicitation and management practices. Progressive experience at the journey level in leading the elicitation, elaboration and management of requirements, and documenting technical and functional requirements, specifications and system diagrams for the licensing and enforcement case management systems replacement.
- Progressive experience in, and demonstrated aptitude for, independently developing and monitoring highly technical system documentation.
- Progressive experience in, and demonstrated aptitude for, independently developing and maintaining processes and procedure for system requirements and documentation in software, hardware, network and cyber security related projects/efforts, products and services.
- Advanced-level technical consulting skills; demonstrated experience providing tactical and strategic analysis and consulting services related to highly complex technology projects.
- Working level knowledge and progressive experience in, and demonstrated ability to, analyze highly complex, highly political technical issues and requests, presenting concise, relevant, and well-documented findings in alignment with industry standards and best practices as well as state, federal and agency policies and procedures.
- Working level knowledge and progressive experience with Microsoft SQL.
- Working level knowledge and progressive experience applying Business Analysis Body of Knowledge (BABOK) techniques.
- Working level knowledge and progressive experience creating and managing requirement and work items within Microsoft’s Team Foundation Server (TFS) and Azure DevOps.
- Baseline understanding of agency software quality assurance standards and best practices.
- Baseline understanding of project management.
- Three (3) years of progressive experience in 3 or more of the following technical disciplines: Application Development; Enterprise Architecture; IT Project Management; IT Vendor Management; IT Quality Assurance Testing; Network/Infrastructure Administration; Application Maintenance/Support.
Completion of an accredited vocational training program in an Information Technology in systems analysis, system maintenance, technical troubleshooting/problem resolution, and/or analyzing, designing, or programming computer systems, applications or databases.
A Bachelor’s degree or above in an Information Technology related field.
- A valid Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA) or Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP) Certification.
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing small to moderately complex software development projects using Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK) industry standards.
HOW TO APPLY
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION CAREFULLY TO ENSURE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED THE REQUIRED MATERIALS TO BE CONSIDERED.
IMPORTANT: To be considered for this position, you MUST include the following, failure to do so will result in your application being disqualified:
- Completed online application (at the link provided)
- Current Resume.
- Letter of Interest describing how you meet the specific qualifications for the position.
- Three professional references to include a current or recent supervisor with email addresses and phone numbers.