This position is open in our Research, Applied Analytics & Statistics (RAAS) – Data Exploration & Testing (DET) Division. Research, Applied Analytics & Statistics (RAAS) is an integral part of the IRS with the unique mission to anticipate and satisfy customer needs by providing leading research, statistical analysis and technology services. Data Exploration & Testing (DET) is a champion of new research tools and extracts value from analytics through exploration, testing and learning to improve tax compliance and enterprise operations.
IRS Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Selected applicants are placed in a dynamic, developmental program with the potential to lead to a civil service career in the Federal Government. In addition, the IRS implemented the new IRS Forward Recent Graduate Program that includes an additional year of formal development, training, networking, project teams, and may include rotational assignments.
Following the completion of program requirements, selectees may be considered for non-competitive conversion to a career/career-conditional or term appointment. All conversion requirements will be identified in the Participant Agreement. Program requirements include but are not limited to:
- Successful completion of at least 1 to 2 years of continuous service depending on the position;
- Completion of at least 40 hours of interactive training;
- Demonstration of successful job performance; and
- Meet the qualification position standards.
Conversion to the competitive service is not implied or guaranteed.
If selected, you will be placed in a developmental position as a IRS Forward Pathways Recent Graduate Program (Operations Research Analyst), GS-1515- 07/09 with promotion potential to GS-13 in the Research, Applied Analytics, and Statistics (RAAS) division.
The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If this vacancy includes more than one grade and you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Independently conducts, leads, or participates in studies of complex problems requiring considerable ingenuity to determine the approach and identify the relevant factors for analysis. The incumbent is responsible for defining the problems involved, formulating the overall concepts, evaluating findings, and recommending solutions.
- Selects and applies mathematics, economics, econometrics, and/or statistics appropriate to solving research problems, such as the development of computerized mathematical resource allocation models (e.g., simulation), regression models, econometric projections, or workload forecasting models.
- Conducts research using innovative analytical approaches and applying techniques in a creative manner to solve very difficult problems, enhance performance, or increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Consults with supervisor, other research analysts, and subject-matter specialists to advise them on all aspects of problem-related studies and assignments. Such advice, both oral and written, includes the translation of broad and specific technical problems and considerations into language which allows for decisions and actions to be taken both timely and appropriately.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
In order to qualify, you must first meet Pathways Recent Graduate Program eligibility:
You must have, within the previous 2 years, completed all educational requirements for a qualifying associate, bachelor, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying institution; or intended graduation is no more than 9 months from date of application;
Veterans (as defined in 5 U.S.C. 2108) who, due to a military service obligation, were precluded from applying to a Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period may have their eligibility period extended so that they receive the full 2 years of eligibility. The remaining 2-year eligibility period will begin upon his or her release or discharge from active duty. The veteran’s eligibility period may not extend beyond 6 years from the date of completion of all requirements of an academic course of study.
Secondly, you must meet any basic requirements of the position and the experience requirements described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, Professional and Scientific Positions.
BASIC REQUIREMENT OR INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENT: You must have a degree in operations research; or at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-07: Applicants must have at least one (1) year of specialized experience at the next lower grade GS-05, or equivalent in other pay systems. Examples of specialized experience includes experience working with mathematical methods and scientific principles to assist other analysts; experience using multivariate techniques and mathematical, simulation economics, econometric and statistical operations research techniques to use in projects; experience researching and gathering pertinent data from a variety of sources, and using it to analyze routine projects; experience working with user-oriented computer programming languages and statistical software packages.
EDUCATION: You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: 1 year of graduate level education at an accredited college or university in operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, management science, economics, mathematical logic, science, engineering, or related field. OR Superior Academic Achievement may be met by having a Bachelor’s degree, with one of the following: A GPA of 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last 2 years of study, or a GPA of 3.45 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all courses in the major field of study or those courses in the major completed in the last 2 years of study, or rank in the upper one third of the class in the college, university, or major subdivision, or membership in a national honor society recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE GS-09: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience working with mathematical methods and scientific principles to assist other analysts; experience using multivariate techniques and mathematical, simulation economics, econometric and statistical operations research techniques to use in projects; experience researching and gathering pertinent data from a variety of sources, and using it to analyze routine projects; experience working with user-oriented computer programming languages and statistical software packages.
EDUCATION: You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: a master’s or equivalent graduate degree in operations research; or a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence as described in the basic requirements at an accredited college or university. OR two full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a graduate degree in operations research; or a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence as described in the basic requirements in an accredited college or university.
- Note: If substituting Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) for experience at the GS-7 level, please note that grade-point averages are rounded to one decimal place. For example, 2.95 will round to 3.0 and 2.94 will round to 2.9. The Qualifications requirements above will reflect if SAA is accepted for this position and the online questionnaire will offer the option to select SAA as a qualifying response.
- Pathways in an Excepted Service Appointment, Schedule D, 5 CFR Part 362. Selected applicants who occupy positions in the Competitive Service must acknowledge the outcome of voluntarily leaving the Competitive Service prior to accepting an Excepted Service Appointment in a Pathways Program. See 5 CFR 302.102(b)(2).
- All selectees must sign a Participant Agreement.
- An official transcript must be provided to confirm degree completion prior to appointment to the position.
- Subject to a 1-year trial period (unless already completed).
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies. Additional jobs may be filled.
- The salary range indicated in this announcement reflects the minimum locality pay up to maximum locality pay for all duty locations listed. The range will be adjusted for selected duty location. General Schedule locality pay tables may be found under Salaries & Wages.
- This is a non-bargaining unit position.
- Tour of Duty: Day Shift/Monday-Friday
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- May be eligible for telework based on IRS policy. Must meet eligibility requirements. If you are in a telework eligible position, you may be directed to temporarily telework on a full-time basis due to COVID 19. Employees must be within a 200-mile radius of their official assigned post-of-duty (POD) while in a telework status. Once normal operations resume, employees may be directed back to the office to perform the duties of their position. Telework eligibility does not guarantee telework; employees must meet and sustain IRS telework eligibility requirements and supervisor’s approval to participate in the IRS Telework Program. As a reminder – If you are selected for a position, you are responsible for reporting to your designated POD (location) on the negotiated start date or as directed by management.
Conditions of Employment
- To ensure compliance with an applicable preliminary nationwide injunction, which may be supplemented, modified, or vacated, depending on the course of ongoing litigation, the Federal Government will take no action to implement/enforce the COVID-19 vaccination requirement pursuant to Executive Order 14043 on Requiring Coronavirus Disease 2019 Vaccination for Federal Employees. Federal agencies may request information regarding the vaccination status of selected applicants for the purposes of implementing other workplace safety protocols, such as protocols related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship. (Birth certificate showing birth in the U.S; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization; or Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240))
- Undergo a review of prior performance/conduct and an income tax verification. Refer to “Get Your Tax Record” at http://www.irs.gov/(https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) to check the status of your account, balance owed, payment history, make a payment, or review answers to tax questions. If you are not in compliance, you will be determined unsuitable for employment with IRS.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation, including a FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S. These documents must be unexpired original or certified copies.