View job on Handshake
The Sterling Group is seeking a undergraduate student intern projected to graduate in 2024 to join our team of investment professionals for summer 2023. Must be available for 10 weeks from June to August.
The Sterling Group. Building Winning Companies. For Customers. For Employees. For Investors.
The Sterling Group is an operationally focused middle market firm targeted at the industrial sector. Founded in 1982, Sterling is one of the longest standing private equity firms in North America. Today the firm has $4.0 billion in assets under management. Over 75% of realized returns have been driven by organic EBITDA growth as opposed to financial engineering, a result of Sterling’s operational investing style. Sterling’s investor base is comprised by some of the largest and most respected global institutional investors.
- Lean, collaborative team, working directly with partners and senior management
- Long term track record resulting in exciting growth
- 6 of 7 current Partners started as Associates or Vice Presidents at Sterling
- Seven Levers Methodology
- Core values: Partnership, Passion, Discipline
ANALYST INTERN ROLE, INVESTMENT PROFESSIONAL
The Analyst Intern will work directly with a talented, dedicated staff of senior professionals who will provide broad exposure to the many different considerations in Private Equity investments.
This role will primarily be responsible for supporting investment opportunity assessment, financial statement analysis and financial modeling for potential transactions. In addition, the Analyst Intern will assist in the execution of transactions through interaction with our investment professionals, financing sources, attorneys, accountants, consultants, etc. Developing general corporate finance and valuation skills, as well as interacting with broad ranges of businesses in the industrial mid-market.
Our program is designed to give intellectually curious and self-motivated Analysts a well-rounded internship at a successful middle market private equity firm.
Qualifications include being enrolled in a top-tier university pursuing a bachelor’s degree projected to graduate in 2023, top academic performer and a quick learner capable of performing in an unstructured and fast paced environment.
The primary skills needed to be successful in this position are:
Analytical skills including:
- The ability to understand a company’s business, competitive position and the market in which it competes.
- The ability to analyze and thoroughly understand financial statements.
- The ability to model, synthesize and analyze data using Excel.
Communication skills including:
- The ability to quickly summarize the merits of a potential transaction in both written and verbal form.
- The ability to interact with management teams, financing sources and service providers to analyze and execute transactions
Coordination skills including:
- Taking responsibility for the administrative details of a transaction.