View job on Handshake
About the Foundation
The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private philanthropic foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American cities. With a $4.2 billion endowment and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the position
The Investment Analyst will work closely with the investment team in all phases of the investment process, from sourcing to funding, with a special focus on quantitative data analysis and ad-hoc reporting, The Analyst will work across the various asset classes (such as public equity, hedge funds, venture capital, buyout, real estate, etc.) and will work with all members on the Investment team. The position is a two-year appointment with the possibility of an additional third-year extension (based on performance).
The ideal candidate is proactive, self-directed, and possesses the sound judgment to work through multi-part and nuanced assignments with high attention to detail and flexibility. This position requires dedication to producing quality work while displaying a collaborative work style. The best candidates can adapt to different work styles in support of the team’s mission.
· Actively participates in investment manager meetings, including the compilation of pre-meeting materials and the composition of timely, accurate and comprehensive post-meeting notes
· Develops proficiency in the office’s risk software and uses this skill to perform detailed analysis of investment managers, asset classes, asset allocation, and other subjects as required. Also conducts regular quality checks to ensure accuracy of the data
· Prepares ongoing and ad hoc reports related to portfolio construction, risk management, performance, and evaluation of the macro investment environment
· Assists in evaluating new managers, investment ideas and opportunities across all asset classes by monitoring prospective managers qualitative and quantitative characteristics
· Actively participates in the preparation of investment memos and presentations
· Collaborates with the Risk & Operations’ team at the inception of a new investment to ensure the thorough collection of investment documents, including legal and tax-related materials, as well as the efficient execution of the team’s onboarding process
· Leads the quarterly production of Investment Committee materials, ensuring the accuracy of data, methodology, and presentation
· Develops working knowledge of day-to-day activities related to the Foundation’s investment operations’ activities
· Works on research pieces alongside senior staff
· Serves as a representative of the Foundation throughout the investment community by participating in peer networking events, attending industry conferences, and investment manager annual meetings
· Provided the option to pursue the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) credential by completing all three levels of the CFA Program
· Demonstrates dedication to the Foundation’s vision and values in daily interactions.
· Completes special projects as requested by Investment Directors.
· Performs other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree required; business, economics, or math-related degree preferred
· Strong analytical, quantitative and communication skills (written and verbal)
· Passion for learning
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including extensive knowledge of Microsoft Excel
· Strong work ethic and highest ethical standards
· Attention to detail and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently
The application deadline for this position is Midnight EST on October 21, 2022.
This position has a hybrid schedule with remote work from home up to 3 days per week.
Kresge is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.