- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Location: New York office
- Start Date: January 10, 2022 – May 27, 2022
- Compensation: $15.00/hour
Who we are:
It’s an exciting time to join Marketplace. We are an industry leader in telling meaningful and creative stories on the radio with over 14.5 million weekly listeners, and a multi-media enterprise centered around the ambition of raising the economic intelligence of all Americans.
Marketplace is one of the most dynamic multimedia brands in the country, known for an irreverent approach to business and economic news on multiple platforms. Our currency is good ideas. We value creativity and unorthodox thinking. And while we are serious about covering business and the economy the right way, we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Intern, Marketplace – New York Bureau:
The New York bureau of Marketplace has an excellent internship opportunity for those who have an active interest in business journalism. Marketplace Interns will be compensated on an hourly basis.
- Learn and perform a variety of production, research, and editorial tasks, including cutting tape.
- Assist reporters in developing Web and social media content to accompany and complement their on-air stories.
- Write show promos, daily station updates, and other materials.
- Contribute ideas for stories and other editorial material.
- Conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests.
- Conduct ‘person on the street’ interviews.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Partial subsidy for onsite parking or public transportation
- Eligible to accrue sick time off
- Eligible for health insurance as required under the ACA
- Participate in robust on-boarding experience
- Professional development: on-the-job training, intercultural development assessment, formal performance review feedback sessions, etc.
- Participate in brown bag sessions to gain broader perspective of the organization
- Enrolled Senior in an undergraduate or Master’s program OR have earned a degree within the last 12 months
- A demonstrated interest in journalism (i.e. produced work for publication, worked at school newspaper/radio, etc.)
- Must have the ability to write clearly and accurately under strict deadlines and work independently.
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft office products with the ability to learn new software programs.
- Self-starter with an appetite for learning audio skills.
- Coursework or experience in journalism.
Next Step in the Application:
In addition to your skills and knowledge, we want to get to know you in the application process. In addition to your resume, please include a cover letter (of no more than 1 page) with answers to the following:
- What interest you about this role?
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time.
- Required to move about in the community.
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level.
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.