View job on Handshake
Buncombe County is a caring community in harmony with its environment where citizens succeed, thrive, and realize their potential. Our mission is to promote a healthy, safe, well-educated, and thriving community with a sustainable quality of life; to provide effective and efficient government our citizens can trust; and to deliver needed service through a responsive work force committed to excellence, integrity, and teamwork.
Purpose of the position: An employee in this position is responsible for the installation, inspection, configuration, maintenance, and repair of two-way radios, two-way radio systems, and other electronic communication monitoring and accessory equipment. The primary purpose of this position is to analyze, develop, configure, install, and maintain complete application systems across multiple platforms and technologies to meet County business needs and to serve as the primary IT contact providing complex technical analytical support to information systems in the IT Operations, Radio, or Business Technology area.
Minimum Education, Training and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or a closely related field and two (2) years of experience involving software support or operations; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional Training and Experience:
Experience writing SQL queries; knowledge of industry standard programming languages; report writing experience using industry standard report writing tools like Crystal Reports or Microsoft Reporting Services
License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation: None
Essential Functions of the position:
- Adapt software and develop programs for the coordinated use of technology enhanced systems within the County.
- Provide technical and analytical services for department and enterprise IT solution implementations; function as liaison between business units and technology services
- Analyze computer systems to include assessing end-user needs; choosing appropriate systems; designing system processes; and determining system specifications for hardware, software, peripherals, and network connectivity.
- Support computer systems with appropriate applications by creating, testing, implementing, and modifying programs as necessary.
- Provide end-users with appropriate training on hardware and related software applications and provide ongoing system and application support to meet business needs.
- Provide ongoing maintenance for systems, applications, and data files.
- Install software and provide training, documentation, assistance, and troubleshooting for co-workers, end-users, and external customers regarding appropriate use of software; develop data analysis and reporting tools as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operations, capabilities and limitations of various computer systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of current technologies, products, methods, trends, and developments in the computer field.
- Knowledge of various County department functions, processes, and flow of information as pertains to development of computerized programs.
- Knowledge of principles of computer hardware, software, and networking; programming languages; SQL or relational database; various software applications.
- Skill in analyzing end-user system and program needs; designing system processes and software applications; configuring systems and software.
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret technical and computer reports and related materials.
- Ability to use independent judgement and work with little direct supervision as situations warrant.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
Location: Asheville, NC
Job Posting End Date: August 03, 2022
Salary Range: $56,070.86 – $68,920.45
Buncombe County Government realizes the importance of a diverse professional workforce and the need to foster a responsive and innovative organizational culture, one that fully engages all of our employees, honoring and building on each employee’s unique experiences, opinions, and perspective.
It is the policy of Buncombe County to provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other legally protected class under federal or NC State law. In addition the Agency expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment or discrimination.
Applicants for employment are invited to participate in the affirmative action program by reporting their status as a protected veteran or other minority. In extending this invitation, we advise you that: (a) workers (applicants) are under no obligation to respond but may do so in the future if they choose; (b) responses will remain confidential within the human resource department; and (c) responses will be used only for the necessary information to include in our affirmative action program. We are a company that values diversity. We actively encourage women, minorities, veterans and disabled employees to apply. Refusal to provide this information will have no bearing on your application and will not subject you to any adverse treatment.