Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January 2023 and continue through the entire Winter/Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for most internships. Please consider before applying.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school on your ability to work 40 hours per week before applying. Again, please do not apply until you know you can work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time during the academic year.
Internship Program at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize and develop emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions where they will grow technically, professionally, and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows the intern to experience life at Tesla by including them in projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, our interns have a seat at the table and make critical decisions that will influence not only their team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
An Industrial Engineering intern will either work on projects involving suppliers or process improvement for manufacturing or material flow. . The job involves communicating well with internal and external teams and on-the-spot critical decision making. The goal: delivering on time quantities of high quality component parts into Tesla’s production processes to enable extremely rapid development cycles and product launches.
What You’ll Do
- Plan, direct and conduct industrialization related activities within supply chain team.
- Develop, manage, audit and correct supplier planning and execution of component manufacturing, assembly, and quality processes.
- Collaborate with Tesla Design, Quality, and Manufacturing to determine the ideal performance specification and supplier metrics.
- Validate supplier corrective actions involving design and/or process changes to ensure they are robust, sustainable, and implemented across potential manufacturing lines.
- Validate suppliers to ensure their ability to meet part performance, delivery and reliability expectations.
- Lead supplier improvements in scalability, cost, and quality.
What You’ll Bring
- Currently working towards a Bachelor or Master’s degree in Industrial, Manufacturing, Electrical, Mechanical or Systems Engineering
- Exposure to lean manufacturing principles and concepts; bonus – application of these principles leading to real world results
- Previous experience in production control, material flow, manufacturing, process engineering, internal consulting, systems engineering, and/or warehousing.
- Software skills: MySQL, Tableau, Excel, flowcharting software
- Bonus: R, Python
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.