View job on Handshake
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that’s improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There’s no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
OptumLabs is the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group. We’re a diverse team of curious thinkers and experts in big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and scientific and clinical research searching for new ways to help people live healthier lives. We partner with world leaders in health care delivery, research, and technology to create disruptive solutions that serve patients, caregivers, providers, and commercial and government payers.
More equitable, effective, and affordable health care – that’s our goal. We aren’t just trying to improve the care an individual receives. We’re building a future where the health care system works better for everyone. Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Develop novel machine learning algorithms for prediction of health outcomes and improved care.
- Implement machine learning algorithms from the literature and evaluate their performance
- Develop machine learning across different data domains (e.g., images, unstructured data, genomics), and across different machine learning domains.
- Communicate the performance of the machine learning algorithms across an interdisciplinary team
- Write both internal and external documentation of the novel algorithms, including publications in machine learning and other scientific conferences and journals.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- At least 3rd year PhD student pursuing a degree in machine learning, computer science, statistics, biomedical informatics, bioinformatics, or a related field.
- Hands-on experience in implementing and training machine learning algorithms or statistical analysis, including for example non-parametric tests, mixed linear models, modern supervised and unsupervised machine learning algortithms such as SVM, random forest, PCA, t-SNE, clustering, or neural networks.
- Deep understanding of mathematical foundations of machine learning, including statistics, linear algebra, and computer science.
- Programming competence demonstrated in at least one or more of these programming languages: Python, R, Java, C++, Matlab.
- Authorship in a minimum of three publications in high profile venues.
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance.
- Knowledge and experience working with genomic data, wearables, or with medical records data.
- Software tool development experience: source control (git), packaging, documentation.
- Solid communication skills, including in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Solid written communication skills of scientific material.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team.
- Demonstrated track record of scientific publications in machine learning or a related field.
- Work on health-related fields (e.g., biomedical informatics, bioinformatics, biomathematics) is an advantage.
- Experience working in an interdisciplinary environment, particularly across engineering and medicine.
- Experience with cloud computing.
- Experience communicating with and briefing senior executives.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative and fluid work environment.
We Lead with Diversity, Inclusion and Compassion
At OptumLabs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to “walk in each other’s shoes” and open doors for our peers.
We Invest in Talent
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours. Join OptumLabs and you’ll be part of a culture that prizes innovation and works with uncompromising integrity.
At OptumLabs, employees are our first customers. That’s why we offer virtual work environments – to provide work/life flexibility via telecommuting. While it can be a struggle to be a telecommuter, it can also provide enormous benefits for your personal and professional life.
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $31,200 to $33,300. The salary range for Connecticut/Nevada residents is $31,200 to $37,400. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.