WHO IS GRAINGER?
W.W. Grainger, Inc. is a business-to-business distributor of maintenance, repair, and operating (MRO) supplies, and other related products and services. More than 5 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products in categories such as safety, material handling and metalworking, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. Approximately 4,500 suppliers provide Grainger with 1.5 million products stocked in the company’s distribution centers (DCs) and branches worldwide. Grainger employs nearly 23,000 team members across the globe. At Grainger, we’re committed to our purpose – We Keep the World Working. Grainger is a Fortune 500 company and a perennial member of Fortune magazine’s Most Admired Companies list.
Grainger’s Global Supply Chain and Merchandising / Supplier Management college recruiting program is designed to provide recent college graduates a well-rounded learning experience to understand how the best in class supply chain organization operates!
- Broad and Cross Functional Opportunities: Participants will experience exponential growth technically, analytically and professionally across multiple functions. This will allow participants to gain in-depth knowledge of the business and add value throughout the organization.
- Build Your Knowledge: As a new hire, you have the potential of being placed into one of the following areas:
What They Do?
Global Supply Chain
Develop reporting and provide data-based insights to leadership in order to drive profitable Will Call and Counter revenue growth, unparalleled service, operationally sound processes, and a culture of safety and team member engagement throughout the US and Canadian Branch Networks.
Assess, design, and build solutions through process/technology changes that are aimed at improving customer experience and increasing the effectiveness of our customer service agents.
DC Engineering /
Optimize inventory storage, reduce costs, and improve operational process flows by analyzing inventory and order data, partnering with local distribution center leadership, and researching alternate techniques with external vendors.
Global Supplier Performance Management
Partner with the overseas sourcing team to manage purchasing and availability of inventory for globally sourced items.
Determine where to stock, how much to stock, and when to replenish over 500k planned items across hundreds of North America Grainger locations.
Determine and develop supply chain network strategy capabilities to accommodate current demand and future growth, leveraging forecasting tools, data analysis, and order routing logic.
Order to Cash
Drive customer experience improvements by analyzing order data and customer information to identify trends; partner cross-functionally to find and rollout solutions.
Partner with the branch network and sales organization to plan inventory with a focus on the customer experience while driving increased revenue and reduced excess.
Supplier Performance Management
Work closely with suppliers to ensure they comply with and execute to Grainger’s Performance Metrics for all Purchase Orders.
Supply Chain Programs
Work cross-functionally in support of projects that align to Global Supply Chain/Customer Experience strategic roadmap focusing on reducing our cost to serve while maintaining/improving customer experience.
Support Transportation Operations by enhancing current reporting, addressing current service issues, identifying cost reduction opportunities, and supporting operational design to deliver to customers at the right time for the right cost.
Merchandising / Supplier Management
Support the building of cost transparencies for private label negotiation discussions and learn about the value of global sourcing to the organization.
Learn the work that supports supplier contracts, product cost changes, reporting and analytics, customer specific solutions, product lifecycle transitions, or product compliance.
Define and manage internal product taxonomy, attribute schema, product classification and search results to ensure customers can find, select, and confirm product selections.
Determine product category strategy by selecting products and suppliers, negotiating product cost, and managing the accuracy of product information for items sourced domestically and internationally.
- New Hire Cohorts: New hires will be onboarded with peers at a similar professional level starting within Grainger’s Global Supply Chain and Merchandising / Supplier Management department.
- Onboarding: New hires will go through a comprehensive onboarding process and participate in structured development sessions.
- Skillset Development: Receive on-going coaching to enhance communication, leadership, presentation, and analytical skillsets.
- Leadership Exposure: Meet with executive leaders to learn about different areas of the business.
- Mentorship: New hires receive direct feedback from a peer-mentor and their manager to help them in their professional development.
- Network: Each new hire will be provided with the opportunity to grow their network and build positive working relationships.
- Community Involvement: New hires give back to the community through organized philanthropy efforts and have great team building opportunities.
- Have Fun: Participate in company lunch and learns, attend social events with your fellow colleagues, and more.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- No visa sponsorships now or in the future.
- Currently enrolled in a college or University and working towards a bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Operations Management, Industrial Engineering, Business, Business Analytics, Marketing, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or related majors.
- Intermediate level of expertise in MS Office is required (especially enhanced Excel capabilities).
- Proven communication (written / verbal), interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Proven analytical skills including an ability to synthesize information, reach logical conclusions, evaluate and improve processes.
- Expected graduation between December 2021 and June 2022.
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.