View job on Handshake
The City of Gresham is seeking a motivated and technically savvy GIS Analyst Senior to join our GIS Team. We are looking for an experienced self-starter with a passion for data integrity, process improvement, and support of new GIS technology. If you love working with data, GIS tools, and helping others, you will thrive in this position that supports a growing GIS team.
In coordination with the GIS Team and the larger IT Department, this position works with internal and external clients to make a difference in the Gresham community by supporting our GIS infrastructure and applications, integrating GIS with other software, and analyzing data. We rely on, and appreciate, our GIS Team for critical projects such as mapping service demands in the community, analyzing data for grants, and ensuring critical planning and development projects have the data and maps they need to make informed decisions.
Gresham is Oregon’s fourth largest city, and its rapid growth makes it an exciting and dynamic place to live, work, and play. City of Gresham employees care deeply about the community they serve and go ‘one step beyond’ to deliver services in collaborative, inventive, practical, nimble and equitable ways. We are called on to address the difficult and multi-faceted issues faced by local government, which makes our work both challenging and rewarding.
The City is transitioning to a hybrid work environment, and this position is eligible for remote work. Out-of-state candidates must relocate to Oregon or Washington State within the first two months of employment.
Things you’ll get to do:
Use your GIS technical skills
· Develop and maintain the City’s Enterprise Geographic Information System
· Develop custom scripts and applications to automate data collection, maintenance of datasets, and analysis
· Create a variety of information products including digital or paper maps, web maps, web apps, and mobile tools using cartographic, visualization and information management processes and standards
· Update and maintain City’s custom web mapping applications
· Publish and manage Portal map and feature services for use with mapping applications and software integrations
· Perform spatial and non-spatial data extractions, transformation and loading processes, and analysis
· Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, assess consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations
· Administer ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS
· Create and manage data, information, and documentation
· Create, edit, and maintain GIS data, reports, processes, procedures, workflows, and other technical documentation
· Support development of citywide spatial data and mapping standards
· Create accurate spatial data nd analyses; create data queries using a variety of tools; recognize and resolve discrepancies in attribute data
· Convert AutoCAD drawings and integrate data and other non-GIS format information into the GIS system
· Work with GIS stakeholders
· Work with teams and managers to achieve City objectives and Gresham IT strategic goals.
· Work with internal and external stakeholders to understand their complex spatial and non-spatial data and analysis needs
· Facilitate project team meetings and manage the planning and implementation of large and/or complex GIS projects
· Serve as GIS subject matter expert with software integrations
· Work with other members of the IT Services and IT Analyst Teams to ensure a stable and sustainable GIS platform
· Train and assist system users
Help the team continuously improve
· Serve as team lead; provide direction of work activities, prioritize and coordinate work assignments
· Review and monitor work for accuracy and content; evaluate projects, activities, and processes
· Assist in installing and testing new GIS software, troubleshoot and resolve GIS-related problems and requests
· Analyze best practices and trends
Abilities we’re looking for:
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers and collaborate across diverse departments, stakeholders, and within the GIS Team
· Write programming code; perform programming duties and automate routines using models, scripts, or programs
· A natural curiosity and ability to independently research answers/solve problems
· Plan, implement, and manage projects
· Read and understand technical materials such as engineering plans and specifications, maps, and as-builts
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to express complex technical topics and issues to numerous audience types
· Provide effective motivation, coordination, and evaluation of others
· Provide and accept assistance and feedback
· Exercise discretion in confidential and sensitive matters
· Adapt to change and reallocate task priorities
· Handle multiple, concurrent tasks
At a minimum, to be considered for the GIS Analyst Senior position, you must possess the following experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in geography, environmental studies, computer science, engineering, GIS, or related field; and
- Three years of professional experience (outside of academia) regularly operating GIS using Esri’s software suite.
- Seven to ten years of professional experience in the GIS field using Esri’s software suite, including a Certificate in GIS
- 1+ years of experience administering and troubleshooting Esri enterprise geodatabases and ArcGIS Servers
- 1+ years working knowledge and experience scripting with Python
· GISP Certification
· Basic understanding of enterprise networking
· Experience integrating GIS with other software
· Experience with local government GIS data structures
Required application materials include:
· Complete online application (do not put ‘see resume’ in any fields or leave education/work experience blank)
· Answers to supplemental questions
· Cover letter describing your interest in the position and summarizing related experience
A comprehensive review of the cover letter, application, resume and supplemental questions will be used to determine the most qualified applicants to move forward.
If you desire a modification of this process to accommodate a disability, please provide your request in writing to HR@GreshamOregon.gov, or by phone to 503-618-2729 at the same time you are submitting your application materials.
The City of Gresham provides qualifying veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment in accordance with state law. Any candidate wishing to have their qualifying veteran’s preference applied to the process must submit a qualifying document (DD Form 214 or 215) at the time of application providing proof of eligibility that includes discharge status. Disabled veterans must also submit a copy of their Veteran’s disability preference letter from the US Department of Veteran Affairs at the time of application, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214 or 215.
The City of Gresham is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants without unlawful regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, familial status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, Oregon, or local law.
Please direct questions about this position to HR@GreshamOregon.gov.
***Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.