View job on Handshake
STATE OF WYOMING
invites applications for the position of:
SALARY: $23.38 – $30.13 Hourly
OPENING DATE: 01/13/22
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Game and Fish Department seeks a GIS Analyst based out of Cheyenne, WY. This position applies the use of GIS and related geospatial technologies within an enterprise GIS program to support the conservation and management of fish, wildlife, and their habitats and assist the public by providing helpful geospatial services.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Provides individual support to users of geospatial applications, including support of application use and data entry.
- Manages and tracks the progress of individual projects.
- Troubleshoots technical application issues and resolves them in a timely manner.
- Assists in the delineation of key spatial features on the landscape, their extraction into geospatial layers, and the configuration of new applications.
- Use and analyze variously-sourced imagery and geospatial data to delineate and extract key features; analyze and categorize key data.
- Maintain and update key geospatial data layers using appropriate imagery and/or other geospatial data;
- Design and produce mapping products that clearly articulate the results of geospatial analyses while respecting concerns for sensitive data (e.g., private lands)
- Participate in the development and configuration of new geospatial applications.
- Share technical insight, knowledge, and information with internal teams and external entities by participating in team meetings, sharing project status and insights, and testing/evaluating solutions to technical issues.
- Coordinate with federal agencies regarding specific conservation-related databases (including the integration and/or exchange of federal data with state data);
- Compile and/or present well-organized documentation pertaining to geospatial applications, workflows/processes, and analysis results.
- Coordinate and provide training and/or demonstrations on the use of geospatially-enabled tools to internal and external entities.
- Produce quality information summaries and visual aids as needed (e.g., annual reporting purposes, geospatial data-related inquiries, etc.).
- Review and monitor the work of various internal and external end-users of supported geospatial applications for correct use of those applications.
- Train others using GIS and applications configured with geospatial technologies.
Preference will be given to candidates with progressive training and/or experience in enterprise geospatial technology development, implementation, and ongoing administration.
Preference will also be given to candidates with a concentration or minor in GIS, GIS certification, or past employment in which geospatial technologies are applied.
**Agency requires a valid driver’s license.
- Develops and maintains extensive knowledge of geospatial and related technologies.
- Competent in processing geospatial data from various formats into an enterprise GIS.
- Ability to manage workflow on simultaneous projects in a centralized geospatial technology program.
- Basic IT skills and knowledge that support enterprise geospatial technologies and end-user workflows.
- Skills in written and oral communication, including map production.
- Ability to comprehend policies and understand how policies are reflected in the delineation and extraction of key features.
- Knowledge of Wyoming’s wildlife and their habitats, or the desire to learn.
- Familiarity with remote sensing technologies and integration of RS data into GIS.
- Ability to train and help others in the use of geospatial applications.
- Ability to create, enter, maintain, convert, and analyze data.
- Ability to translate user needs into viable solutions.
- Competent in developing and maintaining GIS tools and resources for public access and internal data collection
Bachelor’s Degree (typically in Computer Technology)
0-2 years of progressive work experience (typically in Computer Technology) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Computer Technology Business Applications Specialist I
Education & Experience Substitution:
3-5 years of progressive work experience (typically in Computer Technology) with acquired knowledge at the level of a Computer Technology Business Applications Specialist I
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- Successful applicants for employment must pass a background check prior to
040-Wyoming Game and Fish Department
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities.
Class Specifications are subject to change, please refer to the A & I HRD Website to ensure that you have the most recent version.
See Human Resource Contact Information
in the General Description Section
Statewide, WY 82002
Fax: (307) 777-6562
Class Code #CTBA08
Job # 2022-02577
The State of Wyoming is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively supports the ADA and reasonably accommodates qualified applicants with disabilities. No notice of eligibility will be sent to applicants who meet the minimum qualifications.