View job on Handshake
Job Title: Forward Deployed Quantitative Analyst
Job Category: Quantitative Analysis/Data Science
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Location: Monroeville / Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
About the Role
We are looking for an entry level analyst to join our Trading Team. The analyst will work on building and executing quantitative strategies built upon our simulation models for forecasting prices and outcomes in the wholesale electricity markets. In addition to strategy development and execution, the analyst will work on building and enhancing the models that support price forecasting and developing probabilistic forecasts for the underlying features.
In addition to quantitative strategy development, this individual will provide fundamental analysis, insights, and expertise in electricity markets. In this capacity you will collaborate with senior members of the Virtual and FTR/CRR trading team in the design, development, and maintenance of Fundamental and Quantitative trading analytical tools. This will include performing market analysis to support energy trading opportunities consistent with the internal risk management strategy and providing analytical support and expertise for trading activities. Quantitatively driven research activities may include items such as supply and demand analysis or generating trade strategies and identifying market and pricing trends.
In additional to operating at a very high quantitative level, this role will require developing a deep fundamental understanding of congestion pricing, grid topology and factors that contribute to day-ahead and real-time price formation and congestion patterns (weather, dispatch, load, fuel, outages, transmission, etc.). A successful candidate will be expected to have the ability to develop market simulation frameworks and predictive models as well as monitor and analyze impact of weather forecasts, transmission availability, system conditions, outage schedules and other relevant market information to support the Traders. This role will also require providing ad hoc analyses for the trading desk and provide timely and actionable analysis.
· Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (math, stats, physics, economics, engineering, etc.)
· Experience with data processing using programming languages and relational databases (R, Python, SQL, etc.)
· Experience managing dynamic workflow and multiple projects
· Proven track record of being able to transform fundamental research into salient, actionable analysis/advice
· Skilled in economic analysis and analytical reasoning
· A natural curiosity about energy markets and the ability to develop forecasts that may be contrary to consensus
· Solid understanding of the exposure created through origination, and trading
· Experience in the power markets is preferred but not required