The City of Long Beach, Department of Health and Human Services is recruiting for one unclassified, at-will full time Financial Analyst who works across bureaus to support the administration of the Long Beach Recovery Act programs. The Long Beach Recovery Act funds a number of major economic, public health, and fiscal initiatives for Long Beach residents, business owners and workers critically impacted by the pandemic. The Long Beach Recovery Act embeds an equity lens to identify the unique needs of the community and includes funding for specific programs, outreach, language access, and digital access to ensure that the Recovery Act will assist all of those in need throughout Long Beach. The Recovery Act provides funding to support three targeted categories – Economic Recovery, Healthy and Safe Community, and Securing Our City’s Future.
Reporting to the Long Beach Recovery Officer in the Executive Office, this position will be responsible for assisting with Department-wide financial projects related to the Long Beach Recovery Act’s investments toward Healthy and Safe Communities. This position is funded through the Long Beach Recovery Act and is limited term in nature (one-time funding) This position is located at the Main Health Department, 2525 Grand Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90815. Hybrid telecommuting options may be explored.
PLEASE NOTE: The City of Long Beach requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their first day unless a medical or religious accommodation is approved by the City of Long Beach’s Human Resources Department.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Prepares and monitors the performance of Long Beach Recovery Act (LBRA) program budgets in a variety of funds and projects;
- Develops, compiles, and analyzes program data and makes recommendations to improve performance;
- Works with Department management and program staff to coordinate, develop, provide input, and monitor LBRA operating budgets, including position allocations, interdepartmental memoranda of understanding (MOUs), estimates to close (ETC)/year-end projections, budget adjustments, and monthly analyses;
- Maintains program files and prepares documentation for financial audits by internal and external auditors, and responds to auditors’ questions;
- Creates reports to communicate the performance of multiple funds, projects, and programs;
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for improving organizational effectiveness and measures for evaluating program performance and accomplishments;
- Assists in the analysis of current financial chart of accounts and recommends modifications to align the Department’s needs to LBRA guidelines;
- Coordinates and prepares communications with internal and external staff, including City Council letters; and
- Performs other related duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, or closely related field (proof required*). [Experience offering specific and substantial preparation for the duties of the position may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis]; AND
- A minimum of four (4) years full-time professional experience offering specific and substantial preparation for the duties of the position. [Master’s degrees in Business, Public Administration, or a closely related field may be substituted for up to one year of required experience (proof required for substitution to be applied*)].
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and evenings when needed.
- A minimum of two (2) years full-time professional experience in budget development and financial management (including experience monitoring program performance, analyzing data, and managing budgets)
- Experience in developing and managing interdepartmental MOUs
- Proficiency in Excel
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL DEMONSTRATE
- Proficiency with financial management systems related to budgeting, accounting, and purchasing functions.
- Strong organization skills, ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment, be flexible, and manage multiple assignments within a fast-paced working environment.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and files.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, at all levels of the organization.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to consistently produce a professional work product in a timely manner.
- Proficiency with computers, including internet, email, and office productivity software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
*Required documents, such as transcripts, degrees, certificates, or licenses, must be uploaded to the online application in PDF format at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant’s name or other identifying characteristic on the document. Proof of education for academic degrees should indicate the type of degree and date of degree conferral. Candidates who possess degrees or units from outside the United States must attach proof of educational equivalency at the time of filing.
Applications will be reviewed for depth and breadth of experience, and for level and relatedness of education (if applicable). The most qualified candidates will be invited to participate in further selection procedures. The selected candidate will be required to go through a background check and a physical examination prior to appointment if they are an external candidate. Applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements, including submission of all required attachments, will not be considered.
The City of Long Beach is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value and encourage diversity in our workforce. The City of Long Beach intends to provide reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If a special accommodation is desired, or if you would like to request this information in an alternative format, please call (562) 570-4250 or email HE-PersonnelServices@longbeach.gov.
In support of the City’s Language Access Policy, bilingual skills (Spanish, Khmer and/or Tagalog) are desirable for positions interacting with the public.