View job on Handshake
Classification: FINANCIAL ANALYST (Deadline Extended)
Open and Promotional recruitment
Apply at: https://www.calopps.org/san-mateo-county-office-of-education/job-20220420
Work Schedule: 8 hours per day (8:00AM – 5:00PM);
5 days per week (Monday – Friday);
12 months per year
Salary Range: Step A Step B Step C Step D Step E
(monthly) starting 6 mos 18 mos 30 mos 42 mos
136 $7,403 $7,773 $8,162 $8,570 $8,997
Benefits: Total Compensation Package: Placement on salary schedule. If a medical plan is selected, the employee will receive a contribution of $1,125.00/month toward the selected medical plan (through CalPERS), Delta Dental, and Life Insurance. The employee pays the balance of their health premiums from their gross earnings on a pre-tax basis. If a medical plan is not selected, employees will receive a contribution of $300.00/month toward single coverage for Delta Dental, and Life Insurance. A vision plan (VSP) is also available. Employees pay the worker contribution to the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS). This position is represented by California School Employees Association (CSEA) Chapter No. 887. Pursuant to Article 4.1 of the CSEA 887 Collective Bargaining Agreement, the County Office shall deduct in accordance with the CSEA dues and fees schedule from the wages of all employees.
Current Vacancy: Business Services Division; Internal Business Services Department;
101 Twin Dolphin Drive; Redwood City, CA 94065
Application Deadline: Friday, April 8, 2022 (Application, resume, and answers to supplemental questions must be received online through Calopps.org Personnel Office by 5:00PM)
Job Summary: Under the direction of the Director, District Business Services, perform a variety of professional accounting duties involved in establishing, analyzing, auditing, reconciling and maintaining manual and automated financial records; review, audit, analyze, reconcile and adjust designated budgets, funds and accounts; process, audit and assure accuracy of related transactions; prepare and audit a variety of financial, statistical and budgetary reports and statements.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform a variety of professional accounting duties involved in establishing, analyzing, auditing, reconciling and maintaining manual and automated financial records; assure financial activity, transactions and reports related to assigned accounts comply with applicable standards, requirements, laws, codes, rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Review, audit, analyze, reconcile and adjust assigned accounts; calculate, post, audit, code and adjust journal entries; update accounts to reflect income, expenditures, transfers and other transactions; balance accounts, audit for errors and make appropriate corrections and adjustments
- Prepare and maintain a variety of financial and statistical reports, statements and records related to income, expenditures, accounts, funds, budgets and assigned accounting functions; review, audit and analyze financial statements, records and reports to assure accuracy, completeness and compliance with established guidelines, procedures and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Compare and reconcile ledgers, statements, records, documents, transactions and reports to identify errors and discrepancies; review, process, audit and assure accuracy of a variety of transactions and related documents; approve transactions as appropriate; initiate and process account and budget transfers
- Collect, research, review, compile, prepare, calculate, analyze and revise financial and statistical data related to assigned accounts, budgets and activities; identify, research, investigate and resolve financial issues, errors and discrepancies; calculate and review revenue limits as required
- Prepare, review, evaluate and distribute various financial documents, forms, applications and correspondence as assigned; assure mandated reports, records and data are completed and submitted to appropriate agency or personnel according to established time lines
- Provide consultation to administrators and personnel concerning assigned accounting functions; respond to inquiries and provide detailed and technical information concerning related accounts, budgets, standards, practices, transactions, records, reports, requirements, laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures
- Communicate with administrators, personnel and various outside organizations to exchange information, coordinate activities and programs and resolve issues or concerns
- Assist in the preparation, development and revision of designated budgets as assigned; forecast revenue and expenditures; analyze budgetary data and provide input to administrators concerning budgetary allocations, limits and expenditures
- Input a wide variety of financial and statistical data into an assigned computer system; establish and maintain automated records and files; initiate queries, manipulate data, develop spreadsheets and generate a variety of computerized reports and documents; assure accuracy of input and output data
- Train and provide work direction and guidance to designated employees as assigned; assign employee duties and review work for accuracy, completeness and compliance with established standards, practices and procedures
- Operate a variety of office equipment including a calculator, copier, fax machine, computer and assigned software
- Attend and participate in various meetings and workshops as assigned
Qualifications: Any combination of education and experience providing the job knowledge, skills, and ability for successful job performance will be considered for positions in this classification. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years of professional accounting experience performing varied financial analysis, auditing, record-keeping and report preparation duties
Specialized Skills and Knowledge:
- Knowledge of methods, procedures and terminology used in professional accounting and auditing work
- Knowledge of general accounting, budget and business functions of a County Office
- Ability to perform a variety of professional accounting duties in support of assigned budgets, funds and accounts
- Ability to process, audit and assure accuracy of a variety of transactions
- Ability to calculate, post, audit and adjust journal entries including income and expenditures
- Ability to reconcile various fiscal documents and transactions to assure accurate fund accounting as assigned
- Knowledge of preparation, review and control of assigned accounts
- Ability to maintain accurate financial and statistical records
- Ability to review, audit, analyze, reconcile and adjust designated budgets, funds and accounts
- Ability to identify, research, investigate and resolve financial issues, errors and discrepancies
- Knowledge of preparation of financial statements and comprehensive accounting reports
- Knowledge of analysis of complex financial statements and reports
- Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive financial statements and accounting reports
- Knowledge of budgeting practices regarding monitoring and control
- Knowledge of financial analysis and projection techniques
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare reports, forecasts and recommendations
- Knowledge of financial and statistical record-keeping techniques
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Knowledge of policies and objectives of assigned programs and activities
- Ability to determine appropriate action within clearly defined guidelines
- Ability to meet schedules and time lines
- Ability to plan and organize work
- Knowledge of research and statistical evaluation techniques
- Ability to compare numbers and detect errors efficiently
- Knowledge of operation of a computer and assigned software
- Knowledge of record retrieval and storage systems
- Ability to utilize a computer to input data, maintain automated records, and generate computerized reports
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including a computer and assigned software
- Knowledge of oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Knowledge of interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
Physical Requirements: Applicants must possess the physical abilities outlined below with or without accommodation. San Mateo County Office of Education will consider reasonable accommodation requests.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the telephone
- Seeing to read a variety of materials
- Sitting or standing for extended periods of time
- Bending at the waist, kneeling, or crouching to file materials
Examination Process: The examination process for this classification may include:
- Supplemental questionnaire (Required, submitted with Application);
- An oral board examination (Tentative Date: April 14, 2022 virtual Testing Via Zoom)
NOTE: Internal (Promotional) candidates must score 80% or higher on each examination in order to be placed on the Promotional List. Examination procedures are subject to change as deemed necessary by the Executive Director, Personnel Commission Services.
Only the highest qualified candidates will be invited to attend the examinations.
All work experience, education, training, and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. APPLICATIONS COMPLETED IMPROPERLY MAY BE CAUSE FOR INELIGIBILITY, DISQUALIFICATION OR MAY LEAD TO LOWER SCORES. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure all attachments have been received by the analyst after submission and prior to the expiration of the deadline date and time. Applicants will not be contacted about missing documentation or attachments.
Applicants will only be contacted by email about this position during each phase of the recruitment; therefore, it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date and to check spam filter and junk email for updates for this recruitment.
Applicants will need to pass each part of the examination process as outlined above to move forward through this recruitment.
Candidates who pass all of the examination processes are ranked on an eligibility list according to their score(s). Selection for positions will be made from among the top three ranks of candidates. The job eligibility list will be used for hiring in other vacancies that are in the same respective job classification, and will be active for one (1) year (Merit Rule 60.1: A.4). This position will be working physically in various buildings and facilities in San Mateo County Office of Education. Due to COVID-19, there are some protocols for safety and social distancing that have been established at the San Mateo County Office of Education.
Please note that we are a public agency. If you are offered and you accept this position, we will not cover any costs for relocation or reimbursement for travel expenses for employment.
101 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City, CA 94065
San Mateo County Office of Education provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons. The recruitment, testing, and hiring of all personnel will be without regard to race, ancestry, national origin, age, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marriage status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, genetic characteristics, or veteran status.
* Proof of citizenship or legal status will be required upon offer of employment.