View job on Handshake
Institutional Life is an investment platform focused on a specific type of alternative credit risk called longevity risk. Primarily the firm sources, underwrites and manages life settlements in a sub-fund of well-known asset manager. This investing requires a thorough understanding of finance, statistics, risk management. Critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work as part of a disciplined team is essential.
The core mission of the Financial Analyst is to provide support to the Director of Analytics and, at times, the Chief Investment Officer. The Analyst will be focused on underwriting which includes interfacing with operations and investment fund associates. The underwriting process is technical and requires synthesizing multiple work streams.
1. Analyze life insurance policies and portfolios of policies for potential transactions on behalf of individual and institutional investors in the life settlement industry
2. Produce, distribute, and present reports to clients and the CIO multiple times per week
3. Meet with the CIO on a regular basis to develop strategies on each potential transaction to identify the best course of action and appropriate capital source
4. Continuously build skillset in order to improve internal models
5. Consistently improve operational efficiencies and provide analytical support for the rest of the organization
6. Differentiate between “good risk” and “bad risk” as it relates to a potential investment and be able to convey reasoning to relevant parties