The Cleveland Guardians are seeking a fellow to join the team’s Baseball Research and Development group that will use the team’s proprietary data to build tools and resources that help the team across all facets of baseball operations. The ideal candidate will possess a foundation in statistics and/or data science, the ability to communicate findings to colleagues in non-technical roles, and a passion for learning more about baseball. Successful applicants will demonstrate curiosity, creativity, and a drive to learn new concepts. We are open to a remote role for the right candidate, but relocation to Cleveland, OH is preferred. We are also open to summer roles for the right candidates that are still in school and can be flexible on start dates.
If you meet some of the qualifications above, we encourage you to apply or to reach out for more information. We know that historically marginalized groups – including people of color, women, people from working class backgrounds, and people who identify as LGBTQ – and groups that may not have direct experience in the sports industry – are less likely to apply unless and until they meet every requirement for a job. Therefore, we encourage you to reach out if you have questions about the role or your qualifications. We are happy to help you feel ready to apply!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze and interpret baseball data.
- Research, build, test, and deploy statistical and/or machine learning models to support Baseball Operations.
- Visualize data in concise, readable formats for non-technical staff members.
- Communicate research findings to key stakeholders across the organization.
- Demonstrated experience or degree in a quantitative field such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, operations research, economics, or data science.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems in a data-driven way.
- Passion for baseball analytics and/or sports science.
- Proficiency in at least one statistical programming language (e.g. R, Python).
We are looking for a variety of skill sets. If you have demonstrated experience with one or more of the following, you may be who we are looking for.
- Knowledge of advanced baseball statistics and publicly available baseball research
- Demonstrated Baseball research experience
- Bayesian statistics
- Database languages (e.g. SQL)
- Computer vision (e.g. OpenCV, CNN)
- Deep learning frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, Torch)
- Represents the Cleveland Guardians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationship with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
Baseball Operations and Baseball Research & Development are committed to our mission of winning the World Series while creating a compelling fan experience. Our shared goal is to identify and develop diverse players and front office teammates who contribute to our mission. By working together effectively and collaboratively, we create a family atmosphere that supports learning and striving for excellence in everything we do. We believe that we will achieve our goals by making evidence and model-based decisions and creating environments that support our people and empower them to continuously learn. This role might be for you if you are looking to join a team that works together to learn new ways to make model-based decisions that lead to excellent outcomes.