Blue Shield of California’s mission is to ensure all Californians have access to high-quality health care at a sustainably affordable price. We are transforming health care in a way that truly serves our nonprofit mission by lowering costs, improving quality, and enhancing the member and physician experience.
To fulfill our mission, we must ensure a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves and fully contribute to meet the needs of the multifaceted communities we serve. Our comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion combines a focus on our people, processes, and systems with a deep commitment to promoting social justice and health equity through our products, business practices, and presence as a corporate citizen.
Blue Shield has received awards and recognition for being a certified Great Place to Work, best place to work for LGBTQ equality, leading disability employer, one of the best companies for women to advance, Bay Area’s top companies in volunteering & giving, and one of the world’s most ethical companies. Here at Blue Shield of California, we are striving to make a positive change across our industry and the communities we live in – join us!
The System Analyst will help define and deliver solutions that meet business objectives and will serve as a facilitator between the business and IT in understanding the business needs. In partnership with Product Managers, Scrum Masters, Business Product Owners, and IT interfacing groups you will lead the eliciting, analyzing, validating, and managing of requirements, business processes and high-level solution designs. An individual in this role is a proactive member of an Agile product team, working in tandem with the Product Managers and Product Owners and design and development team members to ensure the product continuously delivers value to users. Ideal candidates will have a broad range of analytical abilities, technical knowledge & development competencies, some testing & support experience, sound written & verbal communication aptitudes, courage to question the status quo & suggest innovative ideas, and effective collaboration that can be used to complete a variety of tasks within and beyond their primary responsibilities. We are seeking individuals with the desire to become comprehensive subject matter experts in their team’s product and passionate to apply, learn, and extend their talents beyond formal role boundaries. Having a desire to help achieve transformational healthcare improvement should serve as the inspiration behind the ideal candidate’s willingness to participate across many different activities within an agile working model.
The ability for a System Analyst to keep pace with, understand, and apply rapidly evolving technological capabilities to our solutions and associated delivery activities is also an essential part of this position. The ideal candidate will have background, experience, and the basic ability to perform application development activities in addition to the primary analysis expectations. This includes technical design, coding, scripting, database query construction & performance evaluation, component integration configuration, troubleshooting, unit testing, understanding & adherence to security & design/development standards, and code deployment processes. Basic understanding of best practices to design and construct solutions that will remain highly performant, secure, and maintainable for the future is expected. The role reports within the IT Operations Portfolio which includes multiple product teams supporting the organization’s high-volume healthcare capabilities including claims, enrollment, provider operations, billings and payments, encounters, and product domains.
In this role, you will:
- Create and maintain product documentation to solution the most complex business needs through enabling technology and/or business processes that impact multiple business units, lines of business, processes, and/or cross-product projects
- Assist in creating, refining, and maintaining user stories and associated deliverables such as process flows and test cases to meet development and stakeholder needs
- Actively participate in agile ceremonies (i.e., daily standup, sprint planning, retrospective, & demos)
- Work directly with the Product Owner and additional business stakeholders to understand the business domain and upcoming required features
- Act as a proxy Product Manager/Scrum Master when necessary
- Write acceptance criteria and ensure criteria comes to fruition during product demos
- Support the team to populate, groom, and prioritize the backlog
- Quickly grasps the existing product designs and implementations to troubleshoot and make recommendations for future capabilities
- Develop & document technical designs
- Configure, develop (code, scripts, queries, reports), test, troubleshoot (system & application log interrogation), evaluate & tune performance, deploy & migrate, support (monitoring & impact remediation)
Your Knowledge and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Requires at least 7 years of directly related professional experience and deep technical abilities in one or more primary products, programs or technologies
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a System Analyst in an agile project-based environment. Proficient with user stories, Scrum, Kanban, retrospectives, team planning, and other related Agile techniques
- Proven ability to function in a fast moving and rapidly evolving environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent problem solving and consulting skills
- Experience documenting agile workflows and process documentation
- Experience using JIRA is preferred
- Requires Facets Application (both Front & Backend) experience
- Claims Processing
- Basic programming background, knowledge, and experience with foundational understanding & adherence to development standards, security policies, and sustainable design practices.
- Experience with creating Real time integration or batch interfaces are preferred
- Experience is preferred in one or two of the following: Java, REST API, Oracle, Unix and Informatica
- Honest. We hold ourselves to the highest ethical and integrity standards. We build trust by doing what we say we’re going to do and by acknowledging and correcting where we fall short
- Human. We strive to be our authentic selves, listening and communicating effectively, and showing empathy towards others by walking in their shoes
- Courageous. We stand up for what we believe in and are committed to the hard work necessary to achieve our ambitious goals