View job on Handshake
The New York City Department of Housing Preservation (HPD) promotes quality and affordability in the city’s housing, and diversity and strength in the city’s neighborhoods because every New Yorker deserves a safe, affordable place to live in a neighborhood they love.
As a Director of Business Intelligence & Data Strategy, you will design and implement strategic initiatives to grow HPD’s capacity to be data-driven. You will create a strong “data culture” agency-wide where data is used to improve housing program operations and outcomes.
The Office of Policy & Strategy (OPS) leverages its expertise to guide and support HPD and its many Offices in their efforts to deepen their impact, optimize their efficiency, and become more data-driven, compliance-attentive, climate-adaptive, and mission-focused. To do so, OPS collaborates with staff and senior leadership from across the Agency, as well as with representatives from other Agencies. OPS carries out its work through delivery of rigorous data, policy, and financial/credit analysis; technical and statistical research; compliance awareness and adherence; and techniques in program visioning and design to all of HPD’s areas of practice. OPS is comprised of the Division of Housing Policy, the Division of Strategic Operations and Analytics, the Credit & Special Underwriting team, and the Sustainability Office.
The Director of Data Strategy is a leader within Strategic Operations and Analytics (SOA) that works to increase HPD’s impact by analyzing and improving operations agency-wide. We do this by clarifying HPD program missions, objectives, and stakeholders; implementing initiatives that advance HPD’s goals; analyzing data to deliver actionable insights to HPD programs; and increasing the agency’s overall ability to leverage data.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Business Intelligence & Data Innovation, your role will be to work across the agency to grow HPD’s business intelligence program, expand new analytic tools, lead open data initiatives, and foster a data-driven culture at all organizational levels.
• Lead the expansion of agency business intelligence (BI) tools, working closely with program leadership to assess data needs in relation to program operations and to ensure BI delivers high value to HPD programs and staff
• Supervise a small team who will perform BI query/dashboard development, training, technical assistance, open data management, and data access management
• Design strategic initiatives and tools that move HPD forward in its ability to be data-driven and create a strong “data culture” agency-wide
• Develop strategies and tools to provide essential insight into agency operations for agency leadership, such as executive-level dashboards or dashboards tracking key performance indicators
• Lead HPD’s Open Data program, including public outreach
• Manage access and education around key internal and external confidential datasets
• Cultivate an agency-wide network of data-savvy staff and democratize data access where possible
• Manage special analytic projects to further integrate and leverage data in agency operations
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative leader, trainer, supervisor, and problem-solver with the following skills:
• Strong data enthusiast with experience developing/planning/implementing analytic tools
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills; ability to convey technical concepts with staff at all levels
• Experience with business intelligence and analytic tools, such as OBIEE or Microsoft Power BI (or similar tools)
• Experience creating and leading trainings
• Interest in open data and improving government operations with data
• Supervisory or management experience preferred
• Expertise in the agency’s information systems or key data tools is a plus
• A graduate degree in a relevant field is strongly preferred.
• The strongest candidates will demonstrate interest in public policy, housing, or city government; however, these may be secondary to the candidate’s interest in applying his or her skills to the agency’s mission.