View job on Handshake
RAND seeks Data Scientist Research Programmers to join the Research Programming Group (RPG). Our Programmers are a world-class resource for RAND’s researchers. As part of the RPG team, you will have the opportunity to interact with and learn from some of the best in the profession.
- Work as a member of research teams to identify and answer important research questions
- Acquire a strong understanding of research topics and a thorough knowledge of the data and programming efforts involved
- Answer research questions by using appropriate data analytic techniques
- Manipulate and analyze complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources
- Communicate findings to technical and non-technical staff
- Expert knowledge of multiple programming languages including Python and/or R
- Experience with machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data mining
- Experience working with distributed computing tools such as Spark or Hadoop
- Experience with cloud platform providers like Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions using quantitative methods
- A flexible analytic approach that allows for results at varying levels of precision
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter with the ability to solve data analysis problems independently.
BA/BS in Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, or related field required. MA/MS preferred.
2 years minimum related experience required, 3 or more years related experience preferred
Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. government security clearance is preferred.
Santa Monica, Washington D.C., Pittsburgh, Boston
Equal Opportunity Employer: race/color/religion/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/national origin/disability/vet