View job on Handshake
Jupiter is the global market leader in analytics for resilience planning and enterprise climate risk management, especially in financial services, industrial, the public sector, and NGOs.
Jupiter is led by pioneers in data, climate, and earth and ocean sciences, as well as technology, risk management, company building, and public policy. Our climate risk modeling solutions save lives and mitigate potentially catastrophic impacts inflicted by hurricanes, floods, heat waves, wildfires, drought, and other extreme weather events on homes, businesses, infrastructure, food and water supplies, and entire economies.
Bringing diversity to prepare a diverse planet for our changing climate
Jupiter was founded on the principle that with the right approaches and the right team, we can prepare Earth’s economies to meet the challenges associated with climate change. The world is a diverse place; a diverse workforce in an inclusive environment is essential to meet our goals. We go forward together.
We seek new colleagues—data scientists, physical scientists, software engineers, company builders, and more—who share our passion for excellence, innovation, and collaboration. Jupiter was founded on the principle that with the right approaches and the right team, we can prepare Earth’s economies to meet the challenges associated with climate change.
The Jupiter Intelligence Earth and Ocean Science Internship program affords successful candidates the opportunity to work with Jupiter’s science team on a project relevant to Jupiter’s mission of predicting risk in a changing climate. This 2-3 month paid position is designed to allow the Jupiter science team to engage with promising and motivated students interested in Data Science. Interns will apply cutting-edge analysis and modeling techniques to questions related to climate-related hazards and risk assessment using the Jupiter platform. Broad topic areas include, but are not limited to:
-Predicting streamflow in ungauged river basins
-Constructing emulators for complex geophysical models
-Downscaling climate model output
-Methods for fitting and working with extreme value distributions
What your day and project will involve:
- Identify and scope a specific project with their Jupiter mentor and the Jupiter science team to be accomplished within the time period of the internship
- Learn about and use project and code management tools to organize and track progress with their Jupiter mentor
- Develop a core product (e.g., a codebase or a scientific report) that can be used by the Jupiter team and by the intern as a showcase of the intern’s skills
- Present the results of their work to the entire company at the end of the internship
What you bring to this internship:
- Graduate student in statistics, computer science, geography, or other data science field or a science and technical field aligned with Jupiter’s mission (exceptional senior undergraduates may also be considered)
- Able to work a standard full-time schedule for 10-12 weeks during summer 2022
- Strong scientific programming skills, including experience with Python
- Experience with methods from applied statistics and/or machine learning algorithms
- Preference for candidates with experience with geophysical data
Jupiter Intelligence is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to us to see if there might be a great fit.