** Please only apply to this position if you have years of AI image recognition experience **
Foldscope Instruments, Inc. is a Bay Area start-up with the explicit mission to magnify curiosity worldwide. Our first and flagship product is the Foldscope, a paper-based microscope that can be manufactured for about $1 in parts. To date, we have distributed 1.5 million Foldscopes to over 150 countries around the world. We are a
small team of science enthusiasts who seek to add another to our ranks. Now, we are expanding our team as we develop a new line of products.
In this role, your primary tasks will be to:
- Ph.D. degree in or at least 5 years industry experience with image processing.
- Collect microscopy image and video data from our existing community website and to optimally organize it for use as ML training data.
- Build a data pipeline to efficiently incorporate new microscopy data from our community into the training datasets.
- Develop ML algorithms that enable image recognition for a small number of commonly observed micro-organisms with lots of available training data.
- Further optimize these ML algorithms, and expand them to more and more micro-organisms as our training database grows.
- Develop “light” versions of the ML algorithms that can run on mobile platforms to provide real-time analysis of image and video data.
- Create an open API that enables third parties to easily access our ML resources, while simultaneously facilitating the collection of new microscopy data.
You will work closely with engineers on our team to ensure your software is optimized for our hardware, and to integrate it into our existing platforms. Therefore, proficiency in communicating with teammates is essential.
- Graduate degree in data science or related field.
- Research experience in the application of machine learning for image recognition.
- Expertise with artificial intelligence.
- Experience in integration of hardware and software.
- Great communication skills.
- A home office environment with a fully capable coding computer and high-speed internet connection.
- Research experience in image recognition pertaining to microscopy.
- Interest and experience related to microscopy.
- Experience with app architecture.
- Industry experience in data science.
- Knowledge of current artificial intelligence software.
Besides the primary job requirements, you will be expected to contribute to group
meetings and brainstorming sessions for new product ideas and corporate strategy.
Additional tasks may be required at the discretion of the CEO.
We currently work from home, but this could change in the future.
We believe that people with an affinity to our mission will be the best candidates for a position with Foldscope Instruments. You should believe in what we are trying to do and be willing to plunge full force into this job! We need sincere, personable people with integrity and spirit. If you have been in a professional data analyst role before, all the better, but it is not necessary if you have a thirst to use your skills to help reach children around the world with a new set of tools that will allow them to discover a whole new world. We hope you are a practical person with the basic skill to get things done. We trust that you will apply yourself fully to whatever tasks are required.