At DICK’S Sporting Goods, interns have the opportunity to work with and learn from the leaders of a growing Fortune 400 company. DICK’S Sporting Goods is returning to campus this year to recruit, train and develop top collegiate talent to help fuel the Digital Transformation of a multi-billion dollar omni-channel business.
During the 11-week summer experience, interns will embark on a meaningful journey and make tangible contributions to the organization’s success. This structured and well-organized program provides on-the-job training, mentorship, classroom instruction, cross-functional departmental exposure and an end-of-program project presentation.
The core data science team at DICK’S Sporting Goods is seeking a Data Science intern to support product teams within the technology organization. Currently, the team has a variety of work ranging from NLP to demand forecasting to supply chain optimization. We are looking for an intern candidate to work in partnership with one of our full-time data scientists on one of our in-progress projects.
Candidates can expect to gain experience in the following areas (any prior experience in these areas would be a plus):
· Cloud based computing (Google and Azure)
· Deep Learning math libraries (Tensorflow/PyTorch)
· Partner with either a business team or product team to deliver a machine learning product
· Learn with the other members of the data science team through collaboration
· Retail business
· Presenting technical results to senior leadership
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Apply machine learning and data mining techniques to extract actionable insights from large-scale, high-dimensional data.
· Build and put into deployment algorithmic solutions that focus on improving the customer’s experience both in-store and on our website.
· Work with product teams within the technology organization to help translate their requirements into specific analytical deliverables.
· Compile data from disparate data sources leveraging both quantitative and qualitative data to build holistic views of customer’s experience.
· Communicate complex analyses and models to all levels of leadership across the organization.
· Continue to improve and advance communications and collaborations amongst the various analytics teams and business units.
Some of your experiences will include:
· Multi day intern orientation to introduce you to the company, the program, Pittsburgh, and your classmates
· Professional development workshops designed to increase your knowledge of the company and the retail industry, as well as develop their business acumen and office professionalism
· Extensive exposure to our senior leadership through our exclusive intern only Executive Speaker Series which includes opportunities to meet & greet with our CTO & CEO
· Opportunities to “live the brand” and experience summer fun outside the office through various events
· Working a 40 hour work week, Monday – Friday
Skills we are looking for:
· Academic exposure to statistics/machine learning with applications in R or Python.
· Familiarity with SQL or a SQL-like language.
· Creating visualizations and presentations for non-technical users.
· Demonstrated leadership skills and the ability to independently make data-driven recommendations
· Dynamic written and verbal communication style, as well as ability to communicate cross functionally and vertically throughout the organization
· Ability to work in a fast paced and iterative environment
We look for potential candidates with:
· Attending an accredited university, college or technical school
· Graduation Date of December 2022 or May 2023
· A major in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Economics, Data Science, or other quantitative field
· Ability to work remotely for the duration of the program
Start Date: May 16, 2022
End Date: July 29, 2022
Full-time opportunities in 2023:
Interns qualified for full-time opportunities will be evaluated at the end of the program.
Overview of DICK’S Sporting Goods:
Today, headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, DICK’S Sporting Goods, Inc. is a leading omni-channel sporting goods retailer offering an extensive assortment of authentic, high-quality sports equipment, apparel, footwear and accessories. The Company operates over 730 DICK’S Sporting Goods locations across the United States, serving and inspiring athletes and outdoor enthusiasts to achieve their personal best through a blend of dedicated associates, in-store services and unique specialty shop-in-shops dedicated to Team Sports, Athletic Apparel, Golf, Lodge/Outdoor, Fitness and Footwear.
DICK’S also owns and operates Golf Galaxy and Public Lands specialty stores, as well as GameChanger, a youth sports mobile app for scheduling, communications, and live scorekeeping. DICK’S offers its products through a content-rich eCommerce platform that is integrated with its store network and provides customers with the convenience and expertise of a 24-hour storefront.