Are you excited about working with cutting-edge web security systems?
Does the opportunity to create exceptional security for customers interest you?
Learn with our growing Data Science team
Join a fast-paced team in Akamai’s Security Technology Group charged with protecting the largest brands against the unpredictable landscape of evolving botnets and malware. Our team is responsible for the design and development of technology that helps customers to protect their web sites and mobile apps and secure their transactions over the web. Bad actors might build massive botnets or new automated attack systems; you’ll help identify them in real, internet-time.
Join our top-rated intern & co-op programs
As a participant in our programs, you will gain valuable experience and make contributions through meaningful project work. You will have the opportunity to join us for trainings, networking events, and engagements with company leadership. Our 12-week intern program starts in May, and our 6-month co-op program starts in January or July.
Help us make the Internet more secure
As part of the fastest-growing division at Akamai, you’ll play a pivotal role in helping us mitigate some of the most sophisticated security threats on the Internet. By analyzing attack patterns, you’ll help us identify account takeovers and malicious bots and develop algorithms to mitigate these threats for our customers around the world.
As a Data Science Co-op, you will be responsible for:
- Analyzing numerical, categorical, and time-series data from web and mobile clients
- Developing statistical and ML algorithms to detect bots
- Evaluating algorithm performance detection rate and false positive risk
- Developing and evaluating new signal sources
- Mining big data for bot patterns and developing insightful visualizations
Do what you love
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Electrical Engineering, Math, or a related field
- Be returning to school after completion of the assignment and available to work approximately 40 hours per week
- Proficiency in Python
- Experience with SQL, Jupyter Notebooks, Pandas and ML libraries is desired
- Strong written and verbal skills to be able to communicate findings clearly and succinctly to business and technical audiences
Work in a way that works for you
We recognize that everyone is different and that the way in which people want to work and deliver at their best is different for everyone.
We are happy to discuss flexible working options in this role, please discuss your requirements with the recruiter when you apply.
Working with us
At Akamai, we’re curious, innovative, collaborative and tenacious. We celebrate diversity of thought and we hold an unwavering belief that we can make a meaningful difference. Our teams use their global perspectives to put customers at the forefront of everything they do, so if you are people-centric, you’ll thrive here.
Through our intern and co-op programs we will provide you with opportunities to grow, flourish, and achieve great things. Financial benefits offered to interns and co-ops, including health insurance, are offered through our managed service provider (MSP). Students also gain the following benefits directly from our programs:
- Career development trainings
- Visibility into senior leadership through Fireside Chats
- Networking and social events with an international intern cohort
- Final project showcase presented to the company
- Fun perks including Akamai branded merchandise
Innovating on a global scale, we deliver our customers a fast, smart and secure intelligent edge platform. Working against a backdrop of digital collaboration, our highly skilled teams build progressive solutions that have the scope to transform entertainment, business, and life in ways that we have yet to imagine.
Are you seeking an opportunity to learn and make a real impact in a global technology company? Come join us and learn with a team of people who will energize and inspire you! By the end of your assignment, you will gain a network of encouraging colleagues ready to support you in your studies and beyond.