View job on Handshake
About the Data & Evaluation Team
We want every layer of our organization — from our Executive Team to our teachers — to feel empowered by data, and ready to learn and grow from it so that we can best support our students, families, and staff.
We are looking for a Data Manager to join our relentlessly curious, entrepreneurial regional Data and Evaluation team. We are looking for a data evangelist, who can dive into data sets to uncover key insights, build and enhance data tools to address key questions and needs, and are ready to steward a data culture grounded in inquiry and continuous learning. This individual will lead many of our Operations focused data initiatives including the data analysis components associated with attendance response, student enrollment, recruitment and retention, staff retention, staff survey administration and insight, talent data management and analysis, and key external reporting functions. This individual will also lead some data discovery work for the People and Finance teams, helping our organization to understand our key gaps in data systems and insights, and how we might begin to tackle those. This is a highly collaborative position, as the Data Manager will work cross-functionally with several teams at our Regional Support Office. The ideal candidate will be an analytical, resourceful problem-solver, flexible team player, and a skilled communicator. They will report to our regional Director of Data & Evaluation and be based in our Regional Support Office in downtown Oakland (BART-accessible).
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
With support from the Data and Evaluation team, the Data Manager will be responsible for:
Data Analysis and Visualization:
- Partner closely with regional and school Operations, as well as People and Finance teams, to iteratively design, build, and prune tools and processes that help our organization to make better decisions and give folks time back to focus on their best work. These tools and processes include: attendance, student enrollment, retention, survey insights, talent, and finance.
- Leverage Agile development and product management best practices to balance stakeholder feature requests with a need to deliver minimum viable products to ensure best use of organizational resources.
- Perform root cause analysis to ensure solutions solve underlying problems and not just surface level symptoms.
- Analyze student and staff data, identifying trends and patterns and determining their implications for our practices in core areas such as school operations, talent, HR, and external reporting to create compelling narratives to support data informed decision making.
- Lead components of KIPP Foundation Reporting and other external data requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- Use Tableau, Google Apps, SQL, Python, Django web framework, or other tools to customize and create powerful, sustainable, and user-friendly tools and analyses to support this work.
Data Stewardship and Capacity Building:
- Steward our data by developing data quality systems for auditing our infrastructure and tools for key content areas. These content areas include longitudinal student enrollment records, facilitating stepback conversations with stakeholders to audit changes to our key definitions and business practices, and helping the Data Team to vet and refine our rigorous metrics and goals aligned to our organizational priorities.
- Partner closely with stakeholders to develop data protocols and a clear roll-out and training strategy for new tool builds to ensure clarity of purpose and effective people supports.
- Help the region troubleshoot attendance and enrollment reporting issues in Powerschool in a way that builds their internal capacity, developing training resources for the most common issues and correcting misunderstandings about the data when you observe them.
- Contribute to our internal team’s knowledge management systems, documentation practices, and code review process to ensure that we build and maintain infrastructure sustainably.
- Function as an internal consultant to a portfolio of internal teams (Operations, Talent, HR, and Finance) to gather business requirements and assess the quality of our users’ experience to inform our road map.
- Work with schools, regional staff and the Data Team to plan and prioritize short-term and long-term analytics needs.
- Collaborate with the Data Team to develop and maintain a data warehouse that connects key student, staff, and operational data for meaningful analysis.
Other duties as assigned
Preferred qualifications with a minimum of two years of work experience in similar roles to this one:
- Experience building data tools using Agile development and user-centered design principles
- Strong stakeholder management and highly effective oral and written communicator with less technical audiences
- Extensive experience analyzing large datasets, with high accuracy and attention to detail; experience with educational data a plus
- Strong project management practices with the ability to prioritize and balance competing priorities
- Highly resourceful, with demonstrated ability to learn new data platforms/systems quickly and independently
- Strategic thinker, with ability to identify root cause and think creatively about scalable solutions that minimize org risk
- Proven track record of teamwork and proactive collaboration with others
- Experience developing data visualizations using Tableau or similar tools
- Demonstrated experience in SQL for database management and reporting (eg. PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle)
- Advanced proficiency in G Suite (eg. Google Sheets)
- Familiarity with software release processes and related tooling such as GitHub and Agile project management
- Strong integrity and commitment to KIPP’s mission and values, especially with regards to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Continuous learner, team player, and self-starter
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Values a culture of giving and receiving feedback
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands
Physical: Ability to navigate office and school campuses, and hold meetings in different spaces. Traditionally, much of the day involves sitting. Ability to access and utilize technology. Occasional lifting/carrying of equipment 1-20 lbs.
Mental: Stress of deadlines and normal work standards, ability to analyze problems and generate alternatives, work with interruptions, concentrate for long periods of time, read, calculate, perform routine math problems, memorize and recall objects and people.
Environmental: Office and/or classroom environment subject to constant interruptions and distractions. Occasional classroom/school environment and travel. In an emergency context (e.g., pandemic), work may be conducted virtually fully or partially for extended periods of time or longer, and the expectation is that the individual will establish a productive, remote work environment (e.g., ability to stay connected through different technology means). It may require remote work as current public health guidelines warrant.
Full-time, exempt position based on RSO calendar and time-off policy.
About KIPP Public Schools Northern California
We are a thriving nonprofit network of 16 free, public charter schools open to all students. At KIPP, we believe all children should grow up free to create the future they want for themselves and that schools can and should be a critical factor in making that vision a reality. Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Our student community consists of over 6,000 elementary, middle, and high school students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City. 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 32% are Multilingual learners, and 10% have special needs. We strive to cultivate a representative team of teachers and leaders that reflect our students’ diversity.
We are dedicated to you and your family’s well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits